General Technology - Medical Assisting (A.A.S.)
Graduates of the Medical Assisting program must complete the following courses to earn an Associate in Applied Science with a major in General Technology. The minimum total credit hours required is 76.
|GENERAL EDUCATION||Credit Hours|
|Minimum 18 credit hours|
|CPT 101||Introduction to Computers||3.0|
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3.0|
|MAT 155||Contemporary Mathematics||3.0|
|PSY 201||General Psychology||3.0|
|Elective Humanities/Fine Arts||3.0|
|Elective Natural Science/Math||3.0|
|PRIMARY SPECIALTY||Credit Hours|
|AHS 102||Medical Terminology||3.0|
|BIO 112||Basic Anatomy & Physiology||4.0|
|MED 102||Introduction to Medical Assisting Profession||2.0|
|MED 114||Medical Assisting Clinical Procedures||4.0|
|MED 131||Administrative Skills of the Medical Office I||2.0|
|MED 107||Medical Office Management||4.0|
|MED 115||Medical Office Lab Procedures I||4.0|
|MED 118||Pharmacology for the Medical Assistant||4.0|
|MED 108||Common Diseases of the Medical Office||3.0|
|MED 117||Clinical Practice||5.0|
|MED 132||Administrative Skills of the Medical Office II||3.0|
|SECONDARY SPECIALTY||Credit Hours|
|ACC 101||Accounting Principles I||3.0|
|MGT 150||Fundamentals of Supervision||3.0|
|MGT 201||Human Resource Management||3.0|
|MKT 135||Customer Service Techniques||3.0|
|OTHER COURSES REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION||Credit Hours|
|AHS 205||Ethics and Law for Allied Health Professions||3.0|
|PSY 203||Human Growth and Development||3.0|
|Total Credit Hours: 76.0|
- Students who are pursuing or have earned a diploma in Medical Assisting may complete additional general education courses and classes in a secondary technical specialty, as outlined above, to earn an Associate of Applied Science in General Technology.
- Click here for information about the Medical Assisting Diploma.
Notes about individual classes
- The English required for this program is ENG 101. Students will follow this progression, with their starting point being determined by their placement test scores: ENG 032/012 and/or RDG 032/012 (or RWR 032/012) > ENG 100 and/or RDG 100 (or RWR 100) > ENG 101.
- The math required for this program is MAT 155. Students will follow this progression, with their starting point being determined by their placement test scores: MAT 032/012 > MAT 155.
- CPT 101 is required. CPT 101 will use Office 2016. CPT 101 students must purchase an access code for My IT Lab, a learning management system. The CPT 101 access code is good for six months. RDG 100 or RWR 100 is a prerequisite for CPT 101.
- Developmental and transitional classes, if needed, should be taken first.
- You can find the name of your assigned academic advisor by reviewing Degree Works, your Class Schedule, or by visiting the Advising webpage.
- Deborah McCallum is the Program Director of the Medical Assisting program.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if this Advising Guide needs to be corrected or updated.
Advisement Information updated 8/2017.