General Technology - Surgical Technology (A.A.S.)
Graduates of the Surgical Technology program must complete the following courses to earn an Associate in Applied Science with a major in General Technology. The minimum total credit hours required is 76.
|GENERAL EDUCATION||Credit Hours|
|Minimum 18 credit hours|
|CPT 101||Introduction to Computers||3.0|
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3.0|
|MAT 155||Contemporary Mathematics||3.0|
|PSY 201||General Psychology||3.0|
|Elective Humanities/Fine Arts||3.0|
|Elective Natural Science/Math||3.0|
|PRIMARY SPECIALTY||Credit Hours|
|AHS 102||Medical Terminology||3.0|
|BIO 210||Anatomy and Physiology I||4.0|
|BIO 211||Anatomy and Physiology II||4.0|
|SUR 101||Introduction to Surgical Technology||5.0|
|SUR 102||Applied Surgical Technology||5.0|
|SUR 116||Basic Surgical Procedure||3.0|
|SUR 103||Surgical Procedures I||4.0|
|SUR 104||Surgical Procedures II||4.0|
|SUR 110||Introduction to Surgical Practicum||5.0|
|SUR 114||Surgical Specialty Practicum||7.0|
|SUR 120||Surgical Seminar||2.0|
|SECONDARY SPECIALTY||Credit Hours|
|ACC 101||Accounting Principles I||3.0|
|MGT 150||Fundamentals of Supervision||3.0|
|MGT 201||Human Resource Management||3.0|
|MKT 135||Customer Service Techniques||3.0|
|OTHER COURSES REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION||Credit Hours|
|AHS 205||Ethics and Law for Allied Health Professions||3.0|
|PSY 203||Human Growth and Development||3.0|
|Total Credit Hours: 76.0|
- Students who are pursuing or have earned a diploma in Surgical Technology may complete additional general education courses and classes in a secondary technical specialty, as outlined above, to earn an Associate of Applied Science in General Technology.
- Click here for information about the Surgical Technology Diploma.
Notes about individual classes
- The English required for this program is ENG 101. Students will follow this progression, with their starting point being determined by their placement test scores: ENG 032/012 and/or RDG 032/012 (or RWR 032/012) > ENG 100 and/or RDG 100 (or RWR 100) > ENG 101.
- The math required for this program is MAT 155. Students will follow this progression, with their starting point being determined by their placement test scores: MAT 032/012 > MAT 155.
- CPT 101 is required. CPT 101 will use Office 2016. CPT 101 students must purchase an access code for My IT Lab, a learning management system. The CPT 101 access code is good for six months. RDG 100 or RWR 100 is a prerequisite for CPT 101.
- Developmental and transitional classes, if needed, should be taken first.
- You can find the name of your assigned academic advisor by reviewing Degree Works, your Class Schedule, or by visiting the Advising webpage.
- Susan Kinney is the Program Director of the Surgical Technology Technology.
- You may also contact Lenette Thompson for information about this program
- Please email email@example.com if this Advising Guide needs to be corrected or updated.
Advisement Information updated 9/2017.