Health Care Certificate
Students completing this certificate will gain a skillset allowing them to work in a number of health care related occupations. Students also have the option of transitioning to other health care programs.
Specific details about courses required for application, minimum GPA and other requirements can be found in the information prior to any Care program outline.
|REQUIRED COURSE INFORMATION|
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3.0|
|PSY 201||General Psychology||3.0|
|BIO requirement options: BIO 102, BIO 112, BIO 115, or BIO 210||4.0|
|MAT requirement options: MAT 102, MAT 110, MAT 120 or MAT 155||3.0|
|AHS 102||Medical Terminology||3.0|
|AHS 180||Health Careers Preparation||3.0|
|ELECTIVE COURSE INFORMATION|
|AHS 155||Special Topics in Health Care OR||3.0|
|AHS 163||Long-Term Care||5.0|
|Choose (3-7) credits from:|
|AHS 161||Introduction to Health Careers||1.0|
|AHS 170||Fundamentals of Disease||3.0|
|AHS 205||Ethics and Law for Allied Health Professions||3.0|
|BIO 211||Anatomy and Physiology II||4.0|
|COL 103||College Skills||3.0|
|Choose (3-9) credits from:|
|BIO 115||Basic Microbiology||3.0|
|Elective Humanities/Fine Arts||3.0|
|CPT 101||Introduction to Computers||3.0|
|MAT 110||College Algebra||3.0|
|PSY 203||Human Growth and Development||3.0|
|SPC 205||Speech Communications (required)||3.0|
|Total Credit Hours||28.0-40.0|
Coursework By Track
To review the recommended coursework by track, select your program of interest below.
|Cardiovascular Technology||Radiologic Technology|
|Medical Assisting||Respiratory Care|
|Nursing (A.D.N.)||Surgical Technology|
|Occupational Therapy Assistant||Veterinary Technology|
|Practical Nursing (LPN)|
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate a knowledge of medical terminology that is appropriate to the health care setting.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to successfully perform an EKG.
- Students will recognize and identify rhythms produced by the EKG.
- Demonstrate and identify the proper measures associated with intra-hospital transport.
- Student will outline the basics of disaster preparedness and the concept of triage.
- Students will outline and demonstrate the basic nature of sterile technique and universal precautions
- Students will conduct observations and make recommendations according to the principles of Lean.