Health Care Certificate - Medical Assisting Track
Students completing this certificate will gain a skillset allowing them to work in a number of medical assisting related occupations. This track is designed to prepare students for application into PTC’s Medical Assisting program.
Specific details about courses required for application, minimum GPA and other requirements can be found in the information prior to the Medical Assisting program outline.
|GENERAL EDUCATION||Credit Hours|
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3.0|
|PSY 201||General Psychology||3.0|
|MAT 155||Contemporary Mathematics||3.0|
|BIO 112||Basic Anatomy and Physiology||4.0|
|AHS 106||Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation||1.0|
|AHS 102||Medical Terminology||3.0|
|PRIMARY SPECIALITY||Credit Hours|
|AHS 155||Special Topics in Health Care||3.0|
|Choose eight (8) credits from:||Credit Hours|
|AHS 154||Culture and Wellness||1.0|
|AHS 161||Introduction to Health Careers||1.0|
|AHS 170||Fundamentals of Disease||3.0|
|AHS 205||Ethics and Law for Allied Health Professions||3.0|
|Choose six (6) credits from:||Credit Hours|
|CPT 101||Introduction to Computers||3.0|
|SPC 205||Speech Communications (required)||3.0|
|PSY 203||Human Growth and Development||3.0|
|Elective Humanities/Fine Arts||3.0|
|Total Credit Hours: 34.0|
Gainful Employment Information
- Students who are planning to pursue a Diploma in Medical Assisting or an Associate Degree in Technology with a Medical Assisting emphasis will start their education in the Certificate program.
- Note that not all of the classes required to complete the Health Care Certificate are required for the Diploma in Medical Assisting. (The certificate does not have to be completed to move to the diploma or the associate program.)
- Click here for information about the Medical Assisting Diploma.
Notes about individual classes
- The English required for this program is ENG 101. Students will follow this progression, with their starting point being determined by their placement test scores: ENG 032/012 and/or RDG 032/012 (or RWR 032/012) > ENG 100 and/or RDG 100 (or RWR 100) > ENG 101.
- The math required for this program is MAT 155. Students will follow this progression, with their starting point being determined by their placement test scores: MAT 032/012 > MAT 155.
- CPT 101 is required. CPT 101 will use Office 2016. CPT 101 students must purchase an access code for My IT Lab, a learning management system. The CPT 101 access code is good for six months. RDG 100 or RWR 100 is a prerequisite for CPT 101.
- Developmental and transitional classes, if needed, should be taken first.
- You can find the name of your assigned academic advisor by reviewing Degree Works, your Class Schedule, or by visiting the Advising webpage.
- Deborah McCallum is the Program Director of the Medical Assisting programs.
- Please email email@example.com if this Advising Guide needs to be corrected or updated.
Advisement Information updated 8/2017.