Health Care Certificate - Surgical Technology Track
Students completing this certificate will gain a skillset allowing them to work in a number of surgical technology related occupations. This track is designed to prepare students for application into PTC’s Surgical Technology program.
Specific details about courses required for application, minimum GPA and other requirements can be found in the information prior to the Surgical Technology program outline.
|REQUIRED COURSE INFORMATION||Credit Hours|
|BIO 210||Anatomy and Physiology I||4.0|
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3.0|
|MAT 155||Contemporary Mathematics||3.0|
|PSY 201||General Psychology||3.0|
|ELECTIVE COURSE INFORMATION|
|AHS 102||Medical Terminology||3.0|
|AHS 106||Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation||1.0|
|AHS 155||Special Topics in Health Care||3.0|
|Choose eight (8) credits from:|
|AHS 154||Culture and Wellness||1.0|
|AHS 161||Introduction to Health Careers||1.0|
|AHS 170||Fundamentals of Disease||3.0|
|AHS 205||Ethics and Law for Allied Health Professions||3.0|
|BIO 211||Anatomy and Physiology II||4.0|
|Choose six (6) credits from:|
|CPT 101||Introduction to Computers||3.0|
|PSY 203||Human Growth and Development||3.0|
|SPC 205||Speech Communications||3.0|
|Elective Humanities/Fine Arts||3.0|
|Total Credit Hours||34.0|
NOTE: This Health Care Certificate is a variation of the Health Care Certificate (HCC7) which has been tailored to incorporate the specific program-ready and general education coursework needed for the Surgical Technology program.
Gainful Employment Information
- Students who are planning to pursue a Diploma in Surgical Technology or an Associate Degree in Technology with a Surgical Technology emphasis will start their education in the Certificate program.
- Note that not all of the classes required to complete the Health Care Certificate are required for the Diploma in Surgical Technology. (The certificate does not have to be completed to move to the diploma or the associate program.)
- Click here for information about the Surgical Technology Diploma.
Notes about individual classes
- The English required for this program is ENG 101. Students will follow this progression, with their starting point being determined by their placement test scores: ENG 032/012 and/or RDG 032/012 (or RWR 032/012) > ENG 100 and/or RDG 100 (or RWR 100) > ENG 101.
- The math required for this program is MAT 155. Students will follow this progression, with their starting point being determined by their placement test scores: MAT 032/012 > MAT 155.
- CPT 101 is required. CPT 101 will use Office 2016. CPT 101 students must purchase an access code for My IT Lab, a learning management system. The CPT 101 access code is good for six months. RDG 100 or RWR 100 is a prerequisite for CPT 101.
- Developmental and transitional classes, if needed, should be taken first.
- You can find the name of your assigned academic advisor by reviewing Degree Works, your Class Schedule, or by visiting the Advising webpage.
- Susan Kinney is the Program Director of the Surgical Technology Program.
- You may also contact Lenette Thompson for information about this program
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if this Advising Guide needs to be corrected or updated.
Advisement Information updated 9/2017