Find the academic program that's right for you. Learn more about PTC's schools and departments and available credentials.Academics »
PTC is here to help you get started on the path toward achieving your goals, whether you're headed toward a bachelor's degree at a four-year institution, or straight into the work force.Admissions »
Cost & Financial Aid
90% of PTC students receive some form of financial aid. We strive to make higher education affordable to everyone.Cost & Financial Aid »
Whether you're looking for help planning your career, or you need some help in your classes, PTC offers a wealth of resources to ensure you have the right tools for success.College Resources »
Want to update your skills, explore a different career path, or learn a new hobby? We have meaningful learning opportunities that you can use right away.Continuing Ed »
PTC's mission is to transform lives and strengthen communities by providing opportunities for intellectual and economic growth.About »
Precision Metrology Certificate
The Precision Metrology certificate is designed to upgrade or refresh skills for people familiar with measuring systems required in Advanced Manufacturing industries.
Working with tolerances on the order of millionths of an inch, Quality Control Inspectors require the knowledge to operate highly sophisticated inspection equipment such as optical comparators, profilometers and CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) systems. A good mathematical background and understanding of complex GDT (Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing) drawings is also required to determine the exact parameters to be inspected and how to process a part during the inspection sequence. The classes included in this certificate will benefit those with the responsibility to inspect manufactured products and also would be beneficial to any machine operator or shop manager interested in learning new techniques for inspection. The classes will require students to operate CNC equipment along with all the available inspections tools. A ZEISS Scanning CMM will be the major component of this program.
|REQUIRED COURSE INFORMATION|
|CPT 169||Industrial Computer Applications||3.0|
|MTT 120||Machine Tool Print Reading||3.0|
|MTT 130||Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensions & Tolerances||2.0|
|MTT 141||Metals and Heat Treatment||3.0|
|MTT 243||Advanced Dimensional Metrology for Machinists||3.0|
|MTT 270||Operation and Programming of Coordinate Measuring Machines||3.0|
|Total Credit Hours||17.0|
Gainful Employment Information
- This program is designed for people with some knowledge of inspection/quality/machining. This knowledge could be from experience from school or the workplace, including familiarity with reading blueprints and using basic measuring tools.
- MTT courses are offered during days and evenings.
This certificate is primarily industry driven and can be completed in special terms. It is offered by demand at L-CAM.
2018-2019 Semester-by-Semester Graduation Plan
2019-2020 Semester-by-Semester Graduation Plan
- Enrollment advisor: Please send Phillip Calhoun electronic notification of student's enrollment if student is not able to meet with his or her academic advisor for initial advisement.
- You may contact Don Lytch (at the Lex Walters Campus in Greenwood) or Phillip Calhoun (at the Center for Advanced Manufacturing in Laurens) for additional information about this program.
- Please email email@example.com if this advising guide needs to be updated or corrected.
Advisement information updated/reviewed 4/2019.