This page is designed to answer common questions shared by students that relate to changes made to college operations related to COVID-19.
On this page:
- Contact Information
- General Questions
- Advising & Registration
- Payment Information
- Financial Aid
- Student Technology
If you have a question that is not addressed below, please reach out to our offices for assistance. Students should reach out directly to their faculty members for class-specific questions. Use the Employee Directory to find specific faculty, employees or office numbers and email addresses.
If you are not sure who to contact, call 864-941-8324 and we will help you find the appropriate person.
- How are classes being offered?
Piedmont Technical College has returned to in-person classes. While the college will continue to offer hybrid and online classes for those who prefer the flexibility these options provide, students will have a wide variety of face-to-face options across all programs.
- How do I buy my books?
To purchase through the PTC Bookstore, students should go to: www.ptc.bncollege.com.
- Click find textbooks using drop-down menu under "Textbooks".
- Choose term, dept., course and section.
- Once all courses are listed click find materials.
- Choose which items you want and whether you want them new, used, digital, or rented.
- Proceed to check out and shipping
Students can use financial aid, pay pal or credit card for payment. When using financial aid, students must enter their P# using a Capital P.
- Is the college open to the public?
Piedmont Technical College is open to the public. Appointments are recommended.
- What should I do if I don’t have internet access at home for online classes?
Please work closely with your instructor for recommendations and/or accommodations for assignments.
- PTC offers Wi-Fi hotspots in the parking lots of PTC campus locations in all seven counties.
- WCTEL has created 23 free Wi-Fi Hotspots (see below) throughout our service area. https://www.wctel.com/wifi-hotspots/
- You may be able to access Wi-Fi from the parking lot of your local library or fast food restaurant that typically offers free Wi-Fi.
- I don’t know how to get around in D2L. Where can I get help?
Use the D2L Live Assistance link in Pathway. There are also Quick Guides and videos available on the main page when you first log into D2L. If you still need help, you can call the PTC Help Desk at (864) 941-8627 for assistance. They will put you in contact with someone who can help guide you.
- How will the college provide updates to faculty, staff and students if there are changes?
We will be working hard to keep students, faculty, staff and the community informed via Pathway, the PTC website and social media.
- Will the library be open so that students can utilize this resource for coursework?
The library is open.
- Is the bookstore open?
The bookstore is open. For details, visit ptc.bncollege.com
- What does this mean for TEAS testing?
We will continue to offer the TEAS test remotely. Please see the Health Care testing page for more information: https://www.ptc.edu/college-resources/academic-resources/testing-center/healthcare-testing
- What does this mean for NLN testing?
NLN testing has resumed. Please see the testing information on the Program-Ready Resources page.
- How can I reach the Admissions Office?
- The Office of Admissions is open to the public and will remain accessible by phone (864-941-8369) and email (email@example.com) during our regular business hours of Monday to Thursday from 8am-5pm and Friday from 8am-2pm. Appointments may be scheduled by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 864-941-8369.
- How do I send documents, such as, transcripts, copy of my high school/GED diploma, or scores, etc?
- The Office of Admissions is open to the public, and will remain accessible by phone (864-941-8369) and email (email@example.com) during our regular business hours of Monday to Thursday from 8am-5pm and Friday from 8am-2pm. Virtual appointments are available by appointment only and may be scheduled by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 864-941-8369.
Also, if you are in the Greenwood area, we have drop boxes located inside the door of the Enrollment Center and Administration Building.
- How do I find out my next enrollment step?
- You can contact the Admissions Office by calling 864-941-8369 or email email@example.com. You can find enrollment steps at https://www.ptc.edu/admissions.
- How do I take the placement test?
- To register for testing, follow these instructions. If you have any questions about the placement test, please contact the Testing Center by phone at 864-941-8748 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you accepting applications?
- Yes, go to www.ptc.edu/apply.
- How can I get advised?
- Can I take classes as a transient student to transfer back to my home institution?
Yes. Transient students are welcome to enroll by following our transient admissions process found here: www.ptc.edu/transient
- I am getting a registration error. How can I get assistance?
Please share your registration error by emailing your information including your student ID number (or Pnumber), email, and phone number to email@example.com (all majors except health care) or firstname.lastname@example.org (health care majors). An advisor will assess the error and contact you.
- Can I register for classes while on Academic Probation?
Some students on Academic Probation will be allowed to register once they have met with an Academic Probation Counselor. If you are currently enrolled, you will be able to meet with this counselor once your final grades have been submitted. If you are not currently enrolled, please call 864-941-8356 or 864-941-8388 or send an email to email@example.com to connect with a counselor.
- How do I change my major?
You can work with your advisor to complete the Change of Major form. Please call 864-941-8356 or 864-941-8388 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with an advisor.
- How can I pay my account balance online or set up a payment plan?
- Please login to your student Pathway account, click on ‘Financial Aid & Tuition’. Under the Business Office section there are several links to assist you. We are regularly checking emails and will respond to all questions sent to email@example.com. You may also call the Business Office at (864) 941-8322. Please leave a message and someone will return your call as soon as possible.
- Is the financial aid office open to help me?
The Office of Financial Aid is open to the public and will remain accessible by phone (864-941-8365) and email (firstname.lastname@example.org) during our regular business hours of Monday - Thursday from 8am-5pm and Friday from 8am-2pm. Video and phone appointments can be made online at www.ptc.edu/fa. In-office appointments may be scheduled by emailing us at email@example.com.
- What if I do not want to continue my coursework online and I decide to withdraw from PTC?
Unfortunately, The U.S. Department of Education does not have the authority to change the compliance requirements related to withdrawals. If you formally withdraw or stop attending your online courses (unofficial withdrawal), the Office of Financial Aid is required to process a withdrawal calculation. This calculation will determine what portion of your financial aid you are entitled to keep and which portion needs to be returned. If you are thinking about withdrawing, we recommend making an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the financial implications.
- How can I submit required financial aid documents?
Financial Aid documents should, for the most part, be submitted electronically through Pathway. Forms are available for electronic signature. All other documentation can be submitted through the secure upload form. Additionally, documents can be submitted via fax (864-941-8599) or by mail:
620 N. Emerald Road
PO Box 1467
Greenwood, SC 29646
Or left in our document drop boxes located at the Enrollment Center in Greenwood, or at the front of any county campus.
- Will the payment and processing of financial aid continue?
All aspects and functions of the Financial Aid Office will remain intact.
- What if I fail SAP due to the impact of COVID-19?
Unfortunately, there no accommodations allowed by the Department of Education that would provide relief from the statutory requirement of an institution to apply Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). We do, however, offer an appeal process for those students terminated from financial aid due to SAP related issues. That process allows for appeals to be approved for things like: the death of a relative, an injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstances. Circumstances related to an outbreak of COVID-19, including, but not limited to, the illness of a student or family member, compliance with a quarantine period, or the general disruption resulting from such an outbreak may form the basis of a student’s SAP appeal. Students on Probation who fail to meet the terms of that status can submit a second appeal if the reason they did not complete successfully is directly related to COVID-19.
- How do I request a mobile hotspot if I don't have internet at my home?
If you do not have adequate access to the internet, PTC has mobile hotspots available upon request. To make a request click the form link below and follow the on-screen instructions. Once your request is submitted, a helpdesk ticket is generated and our agents will contact you to arrange a pickup day and time. Valid class schedule, Driver's License, or Student ID is required for pickup.
- What if I don’t have the internet at home or available to me for my online classes?
Each campus has Wi-Fi in the parking lots. We ask that you remain in your vehicle while utilizing this resource.
- Greenwood Campus: Lots 2 and 3 (border North Emerald at K and H buildings) and Lot 7 (between E building and South Emerald)
- Newberry Campus: Looking at main entrance right side parking lot (side of the parking lot without the PTC sign)
- Laurens Campus: All parking lots
- LCAM: Front parking lot
- Abbeville Campus: All parking lots
- McCormick Campus: Front parking lot
- Saluda Campus: All parking lots
- Edgefield Campus: Front parking lot
- What if I don’t have Microsoft Office installed on my personal computer?
All PTC students get a copy of Microsoft Office for free – instructions for how to install are located here: www.ptc.edu/office365
- What if I don’t have a computer at home or available to me for my online classes?
PTC students may request a laptop through the library. Be advised, we have a limited number of laptops available and all requests may not be fulfilled.
- Do Chromebooks, Android Tablets, iPads, Smart Phones or Macs work for my courses at PTC?
We do not recommend any of the devices listed above as they may not be compatible with all the software required for your major. If you are a dual enrollment student, we work to accommodate Chromebooks as they may be provided by many high schools.
- How can I purchase a webcam, laptop, flash drives, or other peripherals?
The college bookstore has webcams, laptops, and flash drives for purchase.
- What software may be required for my online classes?
There are program-specific software applications based on your chosen major. Most if not all classes will require Google Chrome browser with internet access to complete work in D2L. Other applications that may be required: Office 365, Webex, Respondus lockdown browser, Honorlock Chrome Extension, and Adobe Reader. Your instructor can provide this information during class.
- What app can I use to scan paperwork to send to my instructor or upload to D2L?
Simply taking a photo with your smartphone camera will do but if you want to use a specific app, we recommend Microsoft Office Lens|PDF Scan