Updated 9-2-2020

This page is designed to answer common questions shared by students that relate to changes made to college operations related to COVID-19. Note: we have created a separate FAQ for faculty and staff.

On this page: 

Who do I contact if I have questions?

If you have a question that is not addressed below, please reach out to our offices for assistance. Students should reach out directly to their faculty members for class-specific questions. Use the Employee Directory to find specific faculty, employees or office numbers and email addresses.

Student Services:

Academic Contacts: 

Students, if you can't connect with your instructor, try one of these contacts:

If you are not sure who to contact, call 864-941-8324 and we will help you find the appropriate person.

General Questions

Will Fall Classes Start on Schedule?

Fall classes begin on August 17, and registration is open.

How will Fall classes be offered?

PTC will be providing a mix of course options for the fall semester, including expanded online options, and courses that are a mix of face-to-face and online instruction that can be delivered while ensuring social-distancing protocols are followed and appropriate safety measures are in place. Courses with a lab, shop or clinical component will meet in person in small numbers as directed by faculty. Learn more here.

How do I buy my books?

To purchase through the PTC Bookstore, students should go to:

  • Click find textbooks using drop-down menu under "Textbooks". 
  • Choose term, dept, course and section.
  • Once all courses are listed click find materials.
  • Choose which items you want and whether you want them new, used, digital, or rented.
  • Proceed to check out and shipping

Currently all orders are shipping FREE. Students can use financial aid, pay pal or credit card for payment. When using financial aid, students must enter their P# using a Capital P.

Is the college open to the public?

PTC locations are open to the public. Appointments are recommended. Some employees are working remotely, and we are encouraging virtual meetings to the greatest extent possible. We are also available to assist students via D2L, by phone, email, and other communication channels.

Can I still register for classes? 

Yes, you can register for classes.

What should I do if I don’t have internet access at home for online classes?

Please work closely with your instructor for recommendations and/or accommodations for assignments.

  • Beginning in mid-August, you will be able to access WiFi hotspots from the parking lots of PTC campus locations in all seven counties.
  • WCTEL has created  23 free WiFi Hotspots  (see below) throughout our 5 counties service area.  
  • Some internet providers are offering free access during this time. 
    • Spectrum WiFi- 1-844-488-8395 is providing 60 days of free wifi.
    • Comporium WiFi- 1-888-403-2667 or is providing 60 days of free WiFi.
  • Several Companies are offering WiFi hopspots:
  • Comcast/Xfinity - WiFi hotspots available to anyone who needs them for free. You can find locations here. Low-income families who live in a Comcast service area can sign-up for Internet Essentials. New customers will receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service.
  • You may be able to access WiFi from the parking lot of your local library or fast food restaurant that typically offers free WiFi.
  • Remaining in your car will help maintain social distancing guidelines. 
  • Some cellular phone companies are offering assistance during this time. Please contact your carrier for more information.
I don’t know how to get around in D2L. Where can I get help?

Use the D2L Live Assistance link in Pathway. There are also Quick Guides and videos available on the main page when you first log into D2L. If you still need help, you can call the PTC Help Desk at (864) 941-8627 for assistance. They will put you in contact with someone who can help guide you.

How will the college provide updates to faculty, staff and students if there are changes?

We will be working hard to keep students, faculty, staff and the community informed via the website and social media. We are also committed to providing a high level of instruction and customer service throughout this difficult time. 

How will faculty members set up one-on-one appointments with students?

Students will receive direct communication from their instructors with detailed information regarding virtual class sessions and online coursework. Faculty will maintain virtual office hours to share with students, and communicate with increased frequency.

Have any students, faculty, or staff tested positive for or been exposed to the virus?

Please visit the SC DHEC website for official information on this topic.

Will the library be open so that students can utilize this resource for coursework?

The library is closed until further notice.  While the physical library is closed, we continue to offer a wide range of resources and services.  Students may use "Ask a Librarian" chat where you can ask your questions in real time from 9 am-5 pm each weekday. If you need an answer "after hours," your message will be answered first thing the next morning. Also, you may call the library or send an email to We are checking email and phone messages throughout the day and will get back in touch very quickly. 

How will this affect my GI Bill benefits?

VA Education Service will issue guidance on the impact of students attending school on Thursday, March 26. PTC Veteran Services will distribute guidance to students following this announcement.

Is the bookstore open?

The bookstore is open. For details, visit

Will graduation still be held in August?

PTC will not be holding our Summer 2020 ceremonies on August 6, 2020. We know that participating in graduation is an important event for students, so we are working through an alternate plan to ensure that graduates get the opportunity to receive public recognition for their achievements, and to participate in a graduation ceremony at a later date. Details will be shared as they become available.   

What does this mean for TEAS testing?

Until further notice, we will only be able to administer the TEAS test to PTC students.

We will continue to offer the TEAS test on the 2nd Thursday of each month as scheduled. New test dates will post on the ATI website as we determine if it will be administered remotely or on campus.

What does this mean for NLN testing?

The National League of Nursing is reconfiguring the process for the NLN exam. We will provide an update when the new process is in place. 

What does this mean for Observation Hours?

No OTA observation hours will be required for the May 1-16, 2021 OTA program applications.

Admissions Information

How can I reach the Admissions Office?
The Office of Admissions will remain accessible by phone (864-941-8369) and email ( during our regular business hours of Monday to Thursday from 8am-5pm and Friday from 8am-4pm. Appointments may be scheduled by emailing us at or by calling 864-941-8369.
How do I send documents, such as, transcripts, copy of my high school/GED diploma, or scores, etc?
The Office of Admissions will remain accessible by phone (864-941-8369) and email ( during our regular business hours of Monday to Thursday from 8am-5pm and Friday from 8am-4pm. Virtual appointments are available by appointment only and may be scheduled by emailing us at or by calling 864-941-8369. 

Also, if you are in the Greenwood area, we have drop boxes located inside the door of the Enrollment Center and Administration Building.

How do I find out my next enrollment step?
You can contact the Admissions Office by calling 864-941-8369 or email You can find enrollment steps at
How do I take the placement test?
For Fall applicants, to schedule your testing, go to and complete the “Ready To Take the Placement Test” form.  If you have any questions, please contact the Admissions Office by phone at 864-941-8369 or by email at
Are you accepting applications for fall classes?
Yes, go to

Advising & Registration Information

How can I get advised for fall term?

New Students

New students meet with a New Student Advisor to discuss career goals and register for classes. If you are a new student or have not attended PTC within the past year, and have finalized your admission or readmission process, click here to schedule your New Student Advising appointment: New Student Advising.

Current Students

Current students are assigned a faculty advisor within their major of study. Pre-program health care students may complete advising in the CARE Planning Center or at their county campus.

Your advisor’s name can be found in Pathway under the Student tab. Look in the "My Classes" box. Your advisor also shows on your Class Schedule and in Degree Works.

Can I take classes as a transient student to transfer back to my home institution?

Yes. Transient students are welcome to enroll for Fall 2020 by following our transient admissions process found here:

I am getting a registration error. How can I get assistance?

Please share your registration error by emailing your information including your student ID number (or Pnumber), email, and phone number to (all majors except health care) or (health care majors). An advisor will assess the error and contact you.

Can I register for classes while on Academic Probation?

Some students on Academic Probation will be allowed to register once they have met with an Academic Probation Counselor. If you are currently enrolled for the Summer 2020 term, you will be able to meet with this counselor once your final grades have been submitted. If you are not currently enrolled, please call 864-941-8356 or 864-941-8708 or send an email to to connect with a counselor.

How do I change my major?

You can work with your advisor to complete the Change of Major form. Please call 864-941-8356 or 864-941-8708 or send an email to to connect with an advisor.

Payment Information

How can I pay my account balance online or set up a payment plan?
Please login to your student Pathway account, click on ‘Financial Aid & Tuition’. Under the Business Office section there are several links to assist you. We are regularly checking emails and will respond to all questions sent to You may also call the Business Office at (864) 941-8322. Please leave a message and someone will return your call as soon as possible.

Financial Aid Information

Is the financial aid office open to help me?

The Office of Financial Aid will remain accessible by phone (864-941-8365) and email ( during our regular business hours of Monday to Thursday from 8am-5pm and Friday from 8am-4pm.  Video and face-to-face appointments are available by appointment only and may be scheduled by emailing us at

What if I do not want to continue my coursework online and I decide to withdraw from PTC?

Unfortunately, The U.S. Department of Education does not have the authority to change the compliance requirements related to withdrawals. If you formally withdraw or stop attending your online courses (unofficial withdrawal), the Office of Financial Aid is required to process a withdrawal calculation. This calculation will determine what portion of your financial aid you are entitled to keep and which portion needs to be returned. If you are thinking about withdrawing from the spring semester we recommend making an appointment by emailing to discuss the financial implications.

How can I submit required financial aid documents?

Financial Aid documents should, for the most part, be submitted electronically through Pathway.  Forms are available for electronic signature.  All other documentation can be submitted through the secure upload form.  Additionally, documents can be submitted via fax (864-941-8599) or by mail:

620 N. Emerald Road
PO Box 1467
Greenwood, SC 29646

Can I continue Work-Study?  If not, what are my options?

Yes, as long your position has work to perform, may continue to work.  Please contact your FWS supervisor to determine if you should report to work.  If your office is closed and you cannot report to work, you will be paid your regular scheduled hours.

Will the payment and processing of financial aid continue?

All aspects and functions of the Financial Aid Office will remain intact.

What if I fail SAP due to the impact of COVID-19?

Unfortunately, there no accommodations allowed by the Department of Education that would provide relief from the statutory requirement of an institution to apply Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). We do, however, offer an appeal process for those students terminated from financial aid due to SAP related issues. That process allows for appeals to be approved for things like: the death of a relative, an injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstances. Circumstances related to an outbreak of COVID-19, including, but not limited to, the illness of a student or family member, compliance with a quarantine period, or the general disruption resulting from such an outbreak may form the basis of a student’s SAP appeal. Students on Probation who fail to meet the terms of that status can submit a second appeal if the reason they did not complete successfully is directly related to COVID-19.

Student Technology

How do I request a mobile hotspot if I don't have internet at my home? 

If you do not have adequate access to the internet, PTC has mobile hotspots available upon request. To make a request click the form link below and follow the on-screen instructions. Once your request is submitted, a helpdesk ticket is generated and our agents will contact you to arrange a pickup day and time. Valid Fall schedule, Driver's License, or Student ID is required for pickup. 

Request a Mobile Hotspot

What if I don’t have the internet at home or available to me for my online classes?

Each campus has Wi-Fi in the parking lots. We ask that you remain in your vehicle while utilizing this resource. 

  • Greenwood Campus: Lots 2 and 3 (border North Emerald at K and H buildings) and Lot 7 (between E building and South Emerald)
  • Newberry Campus: Looking at main entrance right side parking lot (side of the parking lot without the PTC sign)
  • Laurens Campus: All parking lots
  • LCAM: Front parking lot
  • Abbeville Campus: All parking lots
  • McCormick Campus: Front parking lot
  • Saluda Campus: All parking lots
  • Edgefield Campus: Front parking lot
What if I don’t have Microsoft Office installed on my personal computer?

All PTC students get a copy of Microsoft Office for free – instructions for how to install are located here:

What if I don’t have a computer at home or available to me for my online classes?

PTC students may request a laptop through their instructor. The instructor will speak with the academic dean and the dean can submit the request to IT. Once IT receives the request, we will contact the student. Be advised, we have a limited number of laptops available and all requests may not be fulfilled. 

Do Chromebooks, Android Tablets, iPads, Smart Phones or Macs work for my courses at PTC?

We do not recommend any of the devices listed above as they may not be compatible with all the software required for your major. If you are a dual enrollment student, we work to accommodate Chromebooks as they may be provided by many high schools. 

How can I purchase a webcam, laptop, flash drives, or other peripherals? 

The college bookstore has webcams, laptops, and flash drives for purchase.

What software may be required for my online classes?

There are program-specific software applications based on your chosen major. Most if not all classes will require Google Chrome browser with internet access to complete work in D2L. Other applications that may be required: Office 365, Webex, Respondus lockdown browser, Honorlock Chrome Extension, and Adobe Reader. Your instructor can provide this information during class. 

What app can I use to scan paperwork to send to my instructor or upload to D2L?

Simply taking a photo with your smartphone camera will do but if you want to use a specific app, we recommend Microsoft Office Lens|PDF Scan