Cardiovascular Technology (A.A.S.) - Adult Echocardiography
Adult Echocardiography utilizes ultrasound to perform diagnostics examinations on patients. The adult echocardiographer will utilize state-of-the-art ultrasound equipment to identify and document any diseases or irregularities of the heart.
Admission: Acceptance into Piedmont Technical College’s CVTN program is competitive and is limited to 12 students to begin fall semester. See the college calendar or website for application dates.
The Cardiovascular Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), 25400 US Highway, 19 North., Suite 158 Clearwater, FL 33763; (727) 210-2350) www.caahep.org, upon the recommendation of The Joint Review Committee on Education in Cardiovascular Technology ( JRC-CVT), www.jrccvt.org, 1449 Hill Street, Whitinsville, MA 01588-1032 (978) 456-5594.
|GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES|
|BIO 210||Anatomy and Physiology I||4.0|
|BIO 211||Anatomy and Physiology II||4.0|
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3.0|
|MAT 102||Intermediate Algebra
or MAT 120 Probability and Statistics
|PSY 201||General Psychology||3.0|
|SPC 205||Public Speaking||3.0|
|Elective Humanities/Fine Arts||3.0|
|REQUIRED CORE SUBJECT AREAS|
|CVT 101||Introduction to Cardiovascular||2.0|
|CVT 102||Cardiac and Vascular Pathophysiology||3.0|
|CVT 106||Introduction to Non-Invasive Physics||3.0|
|CVT 107||Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Physics||3.0|
|CVT 112||Cardiovascular Principles||3.0|
|CVT 140||Non-Invasive Cardiology I||3.0|
|CVT 141||Non-Invasive Cardiology II||3.0|
|CVT 142||Non-Invasive Cardiology Clinical I||5.0|
|CVT 145||Non-Invasive Cardiology Clinical II Applicator||5.0|
|CVT 243||Non-Invasive Cardiology III||3.0|
|CVT 245||Non-Invasive Cardiology Clinical III||8.0|
|CVT 246||Non-Invasive Cardiology Special Topics||2.0|
|OTHER COURSES REQUIRED FOR GRADUATION|
|AHS 102||Medical Terminology||3.0|
|Total Credit Hours||69.0|
Note: Each student is required to complete BIO 211 (before the end of the first semester) and SPC 205 (before the end of the second semester). Students are encouraged to complete all general education coursework prior to beginning program coursework.
The Adult Echocardiography program at Piedmont Technical College is dedicated to preparing competent entry-level adult echocardiographers in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains for adult echocardiography. Through didactic instruction and clinical experience students will be properly prepared for licensure exams and the workforce.
Program Student Learning Outcomes (Adult Echocardiography):
- Apply knowledge of cardiac anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology to assess and analyze the heart through cardiac sonography.
- Recognize the physical sonographic principles and apply knowledge of the physical sonographic principles and instrumentation during cardiac ultrasound.
- Demonstrate hands-on skill proficiency and good clinical decision-making to obtain quality echocardiograms that document cardiac pathology adequately.
- Demonstrate entry-level proficiency on the stress echo and transesophageal echo procedures.
- Interpret other cardiac diagnostic methods at a basic level.
- Perform advanced echocardiography techniques at entry level. (contrast, strain, 3D volume/EF)
- State effective procedures for continuing sonographic education after graduation and throughout the echocardiography career.