Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning
In Piedmont Technical College's Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning Technology (HVAC) program, you’ll learn to diagnose and repair malfunctions; size, fabricate and install air duct systems; and estimate cooling and heating loads for selection of the most efficient systems for a given building. Practical training in a well-equipped shop and outside installation of service projects will give you the on-the-job experience you’ll need to get started in the HVAC industry after graduation.
Robbie Hill, program director864-941-8475
A Career in HVAC Technology
One of the fastest-growing service occupations, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning has seen major changes in recent years as the result of a national emphasis on fuel conservation and environmental concerns.
Every private residence, business, industry and agency needs the skill of technicians trained in the installation, maintenance and repair of air conditioning, refrigeration and heating systems. And because these systems are increasing in complexity, skilled technicians will be in higher demand in the future to keep them running at maximum capacity.
In Piedmont Tech's HVAC program, practical training in a well-equipped shop and outside installation of service projects will give you the on-the-job experience you'll need to get started in the HVAC industry after graduation.
What Will I Do as an HVAC Technician?
Heating, air conditioning and refrigeration technicians and installers work with sheet metal and piping, and repair machinery such as electrical motors, compressors and burners.
HVAC graduates will install or repair heating, central air conditioning or refrigeration systems, including oil burners, hot-air furnaces and heat pumps.
Some of your responsibilities may require you to:
- Adjust system controls to settings recommended by manufacturers to balance systems
- Follow blueprints to assemble, position and mount heating or cooling equipment
- Assist with other work in coordination with repair and maintenance teams
- Comply with all applicable standards, policies and procedures, including safety procedures, and the maintenance of a clean work area
- Cut and drill holes in floors, walls and roof to install equipment using power saws and drills
- Fabricate, assemble and install duct work and chassis parts using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment
Career Quick Facts
- Career Outlook
- Median Salary Average: $55,772
- SC Salary Range: $40,454 - $68,539
- 100% placement rate for 2020-2021 graduates
Salary and career information from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Physical Demands
- overall activity depends on job - may be sedentary (primarily sitting) to very active (walking, lifting, etc.)
- from light lifting (20 lbs.) to heavy (70+ lbs.)
- Entry Level Positions
- HVAC Technician
- Power/Refrigeration Technician
- Maintenance Mechanic
- List of Employers
Recent graduates have found work at:
- 2nd Wind Heating & Air Conditioning
- A1 Heating & Air
- Abbeville Housing Authority
- Ace Hardware
- Ace Heating & Cooling
- Anderson Construction
- Anderson HVAC
- Ascend Performance Materials
- Bailey Heating & Controls
- B&L Services Benchmark Heating & Cooling
- Bickleys HVAC
- Boyd Management
- Bragg Heating Company
- Burns Service Center Inc.
- Butler Heating & Cooling
- Carolina Heating and Air
- Cassell Services
- CC Dixon Co.
- Chavis Heating & Air
- Climate Control Systems of Greenwood, Inc.
- Cregger Company of Greenwood
- Cullum Electric
- D. H. Griffin Companies
- Fuji Photo Film
- Fulmer Heating and Cooling
- Greenwood Housing Authority
- Greenwood Packing Plant
- Greenwood School District 50
- Hill's Service Company
- KRAFT Foods - Louis Rich Company
- J & B Professional Services
- JF Hawkins Nursing Home
- JES Restaurant Equipment
- John De La Howe School
- JR Retails
- Lander University
- Laurens School District 55
- Louis Rich
- Lowry Mechanical Inc
- Mathis Plumbing Heating & Air
- Mays Contracting
- McCutcheon Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc.
- McGee Heating & Air Conditioning
- Midlands Heating and Cooling
- National Park Service
- Newberry College
- Newberry County One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning
- Phillips Appliance
- Pilgrim's Pride
- Pioneer Frozen Foods
- Prosperity Heating & Refrigeration
- Scott's Heating & Cooling
- Sligh Heating & Cooling
- South Main Street Baptist Church
- Southern Air Taylor Freezer Town and Country
- Thomas Mechanical Heating & Cooling
- Wilson Refrigeration
Students in the associate degree program are trained to diagnose and repair malfunctions; size, fabricate and install air duct systems; and estimate cooling and heating loads for selection of the most efficient systems for a given building. Practical training in a state-of-the-art training facility and outside installation of service projects gives students on-the-job experience before they graduate. EPA 608 technician certification is taught, and the test is offered to all curriculum students.
In addition to the associate degree, the college offers several certificates in key areas such as heating fundamentals, refrigeration and HVACR installation. These programs help students gain essential skills in order to get to work quickly in the HVAC field.
To ensure students complete these programs with the best foundation, faculty are administering HVAC Excellence tests upon the completion of key courses to verify student skill levels and work readiness.