Job Fair FAQ
What is The SCWorks/PTC Job Fair?
The SCWorks/PTC Job Fair is an annual program co-sponsored by Piedmont Technical College and SCWorks. This event is basically an opportunity for students and employers to share information.
What organizations will be represented?
The list of attendees may change so keep a check on it right up to the day of the event.
How should I prepare?
First impressions are important so dress professionally, bring your resume and be prepared to discuss your qualifications.
Where is The SCWorks/PTC Job Fair?
The SCWorks/PTC Job Fair will take place in the James Medford Family Events Center.
What time does the event take place?
Visitation time between students and employers runs from 10 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. The Fair will be open until 3pm for the general public.
What should I do once I get there?
The building is set up with tables for the organizations to display information and have a "place" to be. Your role is to take the initiative to go to the table and introduce yourself. If this seems difficult, practice a few times with a friend and you'll feel more comfortable.
Even if you are unfamiliar with an organization, take time to stop and learn more about it. Larger organizations, such as hospitals and government agencies, will likely hire a wide variety of employees. The event should be crowded and some tables may be occupied when you approach. Wait your turn, then step up and take the opportunity to talk.
What else do I need to know?
- Smile and use a firm handshake when greeting.
- Appear confident and in control.
- Maintain appropriate eye contact.
- Communicate positive information about your background.
The person may ask you a wide variety of questions. Try to briefly answer all of them and ask to leave a copy of your resume so the employer can learn more about your skills and experience as well as have a way to contact you at a later time.
While this is not formally interviewing for a job, it can give a prospective employer a feel for who you are and what you can do.
It may lead to an interview, so find out what you want to know in case the organization does have an opening now or at some future point. In addition to sharing information about you, The SCWorks/PTC Job Fair also involves gathering information. Think of yourself as a reporter doing investigative work and take notes.
Suggested questions to ask when talking to an Employer:
- What are some of the qualities you seek in potential employees?
- What personal attributes do you think are essential to success?
- What skills are required of employees in your organization?
- What is your application process for entry level positions?
- Is it acceptable to contact someone in your organization about employment, even if there are no advertised openings?
- Describe a typical work day in your organization.
- Describe the dress code at your organization.
- What do you look for on a resume?
- What makes a person successful in the job interview?
- What advice do you have for a person looking for a job?
- What are some of the challenges your organization faces?
Remember to follow-up on any and all leads you receive during The SCWorks/PTC Job Fair. You may not leave the event with a job offer, but you can get leads that will get you to that point.