Transfer into PTC
Piedmont Technical College will accept and give credit for work completed at other regionally accredited colleges and universities. Applicants seeking such credit should complete the admissions application process and submit a transcript of coursework from all the schools previously attended. All rules regulating the transfer of credit must be met, and acceptance of such credit will be at the discretion of the Registrar and the appropriate department head.
The following criteria will be observed:
- Subjects being transferred must closely parallel subjects being offered at Piedmont Technical College, both in content and credit hours earned.
- In order to transfer credit, a grade of “C” or better must have been made in the subject. A grade of “Pass” or “Satisfactory” will be noted as a “C” unless explicitly stipulated otherwise on the transferring institution’s transcript.
- At least one-fourth of credits toward graduation must be earned at Piedmont Technical College.
- A grade of “TR” (transfer) is awarded for all transfer courses. TR grades are not included in the computation of the student’s Piedmont Technical College GPA. The grade earned at the previous institution will be visible in DegreeWorks, but will not impact the Piedmont Technical College GPA. Transfer credit hours earned will reflect on the student’s academic record at PTC.
- Credit for a subject must show on the transcript from the granting institution, and an official copy of this transcript must be on file at Piedmont Technical College.
- Credit awarded will be approved in writing and maintained in the student’s permanent record.
- Transfer students are not required to take the placement test if valid transfer credits are awarded in English and math.
- Acceptance of transfer credit is awarded by the Registrar, or designee, and is based on a combination of length of time and course content, as established by academic department heads.
- Transfer credit will not be awarded for courses over 8 years old which are technical in nature or with content that may change over time. Examples include courses in computer technology, mechanical engineering, and integrated systems technology. Some programs may also be limited in awarding transfer credit for older courses due to accreditation requirements.
A student may elect to transfer to another college or university before graduating from Piedmont Technical College or after graduating in order to further their education.
Transferring out of PTC
- Request a transcript. Transcript will be mailed to college indicated within two (2) days.
- Consider the Transfer Back program if you are close to completing your curriculum at Piedmont. This is described in our FAQ section.