Find the academic program that's right for you. Learn more about PTC's schools and departments and available credentials.Academics »
PTC is here to help you get started on the path toward achieving your goals, whether you're headed toward a bachelor's degree at a four-year institution, or straight into the work force.Admissions »
Cost & Financial Aid
90% of PTC students receive some form of financial aid. We strive to make higher education affordable to everyone.Cost & Financial Aid »
Whether you're looking for help planning your career, or you need some help in your classes, PTC offers a wealth of resources to ensure you have the right tools for success.College Resources »
Want to update your skills, explore a different career path, or learn a new hobby? We have meaningful learning opportunities that you can use right away.Continuing Ed »
PTC's mission is to transform lives and strengthen communities by providing opportunities for intellectual and economic growth.About »
The mission of Academic Advising at Piedmont Technical College is to create a shared educational partnership, which involves the development of meaningful planning consistent with the student’s academic, personal and professional goals. Using a holistic approach to empower students, sharing available resources, providing accurate and timely information, and assisting students with clearly defining their goals are all essential to this outcome.
Objectives of Academic Advising
- Assist students with transition to college.
- Validate students’ career path and academic program selection.
- Support students’ ability to meet academic program requirements.
- Assist students to find campus resources to best help students succeed academically and personally.
- Encourage involvement in on-campus, co-curricular activities that will increase the value of the college experience and develop interpersonal skills and leadership abilities.
- Promote involvement in off-campus, experiential learning (volunteer services and internships) to help explore and clarify career options.
- Help connect college experience with plans and goals for transition to the workforce or transfer to a four-year institution.
- Provide students with information and support that will enable transfer to another institution.
The college has implemented an Advising Syllabus to guide advisors and students through the advising process. The Advising Syllabus is designed to ease the transition to college. Outlined is information on what to expect from the academic advising process at Piedmont Technical College.
To review the Advising Syllabus, click here: www.ptc.edu/advisingsyllabus.
Student Responsibilities in Advising
- Schedule an appointment with your assigned academic advisor. Information regarding your assigned academic advisor is available on the Who’s My Advisor webpage and Degree Works.
- Show up on time for advising appointments, or reschedule prior to the appointment time; come prepared with questions and material for discussion.
- Recognize that you are ultimately responsible for monitoring your academic progress, meeting academic requirements, meeting published deadlines, and fulfilling financial obligations.
- Understand college and departmental requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Commit a reasonable amount of time, both independently and in meetings with an academic advisor, to create a degree plan for your academic program.
- Understand financial aid policies which govern student aid, and seek advice when needed.
- Seek assistance with decisions to be made rather than expecting the advisor to make them; be receptive to advisor’s suggestions.
- Follow through with advisor referrals to additional resources or services.
- Access Degree Works, PTC website, and campus communication tools (including PTC and D2L Brightspace e-mails and announcements) on a regular basis.
Advisor Responsibilities in Advising
- Encourage and assist students in developing realistic degree plans consistent with academic, personal, and professional goals.
- Work with student advisees to validate their career goals and ensure the goals are consistent with their programs of study, preparation, interests, and plans for the future.
- Be knowledgeable about programs, graduation requirements, policies, procedures, and available resources for students.
- Assist students in the understanding of college and departmental requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Document, in Zogotech, communication about students’ progress toward meeting their goals.
- Maintain confidentiality with students following Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations.
- Be sensitive to the varied needs of students as they develop academically and personally at PTC.
- Refer students to relevant campus resources as appropriate.
- Provide availability for student advising, and respond to advisees in a timely manner.
Who is My Advisor?
New students meet with a New Student Advisor to discuss career goals and register for classes. If you are a new student or have not attended PTC within the past year, and have finalized your admission or readmission process, click here to schedule your New Student Advising appointment: New Student Advising.
Current students are assigned a faculty advisor within their major of study. Pre-program health care students may complete advising in the CARE Planning Center or at their county campus.
Your advisor’s name can be found on your Class Schedule and in Degree Works, both of which can be accessed through Degree Works. To identify advisors by major, visit the advisor webpage, www.ptc.edu/advisor.