In partnership with the SC Technical College System, Piedmont Technical College is launching the South Carolina Manufacturing Certification (SCMC) to grow the skilled workforce in its region.
What is SCMC?
SCMC is an entry level Advanced Manufacturing Certification. The certification consists of 200 hours of state-funded training comprised of three core certificate programs plus 40 hours of hands-on training in the lab.
- MSSC Certified Production Technician
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt
- OSHA- General Industry
- Hands-on Lab Training
Why become South Carolina Manufacturing Certified?
Employers are ready to fill these positions. Average salary is $12/hour, and in some places, higher.
- Gives exposure to various types of manufacturing skills, levels, and positions
- Can enter any type of advanced manufacturing industry
- Opportunities to sharpen your employability skills
- Upstate employers are looking to hire these individuals
- Opens doors for future training in CNC Machining, Welding, and Mechatronics
Who qualifies for this free, state-funded training?
Qualified applicants are unemployed or underemployed individuals who would like to start a career in advanced manufacturing.
- Successfully complete a drug screen and background check
- Score silver or better on the WorkKeys Test
- Hold a high school diploma or GED & provide documentation
- Be committed to completing the program
How do I enroll in the program?
Step 1: Meet the basic requirements
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or legal resident
- Live in South Carolina
- A veteran, or unemployed, or working part-time or at a low hourly wage
- High school diploma or GED
- WorkKeys silver level scores.
- If you don’t have this certification, call or visit your local SC Works office or Adult Education Center to learn how to prepare for and take the WorkKeys test
- WorkKeys testing is offered at the Continuing Education Building (PTC) on Wednesdays at 8:15AM or 5:15PM (just show up, registration not necessary)
- Drug-free and able to pass background check
- Able to meet physical requirements of work within a manufacturing facility
- Attend an information session before applying – Every Tuesday at 2PM or 5PM at Continuing Education Building
Step 2: Apply
- Complete an application
- Bring the following to your appointment:
- copy of your diploma or transcript
- copy of your WorkKeys certificate
- $20 for drug test and background check (cash only)
- Proof of legal residence in SC (SCDL, Voter Registration, Military ID, etc.)
Step 3: Complete the drug testing and background check
- Complete authorization for drug testing and background check at your application appointment
- Follow instructions provided at your application appointment
- You will be notified if results of your drug test or background check prevent you from entering this program
Step 4: Scholarship decision will be made by the committee
- You will be notified if a scholarship is awarded to you
- You will be notified of class dates, start times, etc.
Step 5: Materials and fees covered
- Scholarship covers: tuition, materials, and testing/certification fees (1 test for each of 4 MSSC modules, OSHA 10-hour test, and Six Sigma Yellow Belt certificate)
- If you want to re-test in any area, additional fees will apply
Step 6: Participation
- Attend all classes (if you miss more than 3 sessions, you will be withdrawn from the program)
- Be on time for all class sessions (if you are tardy more than four times you will be withdrawn from the program)
- Participate fully in class activities and complete all coursework
For more information, contact Trish Buis at (864) 941-8420 or email@example.com.