What is SCMC?
SCMC is an entry level Advanced Manufacturing Certification. The certification consists of 200 hours of state-funded training comprised of three core certificate programs plus 40 hours of hands-on training in the lab.
- MSSC Certified Production Technician
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt
- OSHA- General Industry
- Hands-on Lab Training
Why become South Carolina Manufacturing Certified?
Employers are ready to fill these positions. Average salary is $12/hour, and in some places, higher.
- Gives exposure to various types of manufacturing skills, levels, and positions
- Can enter any type of advanced manufacturing industry
- Opportunities to sharpen your employability skills
- Upstate employers are looking to hire these individuals
- Opens doors for future training in CNC Machining, Welding, and Mechatronics
Who qualifies for this free, state-funded training?
Qualified applicants are unemployed or underemployed individuals who would like to start a career in advanced manufacturing.
- Successfully complete a drug screen and background check
- Score silver or better on the WorkKeys Test
- Hold a high school diploma or GED & provide documentation
- Be committed to completing the program
How do I enroll in the program?
Step 1: Meet the basic requirements
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or legal resident
- Live in South Carolina
- A veteran, or unemployed, or working part-time or at a low hourly wage
- High school diploma or GED
- WorkKeys silver level scores.
- If you don’t have this certification, call or visit your local SC Works office or Adult Education Center to learn how to prepare for and take the WorkKeys test
- WorkKeys testing is offered at the Continuing Education Building (PTC) on Wednesdays at 8:15AM or 5:15PM (just show up, registration not necessary)
- Drug-free and able to pass background check
- Able to meet physical requirements of work within a manufacturing facility
- Attend an information session before applying – Every Tuesday at 2PM or 5PM at Continuing Education Building
Step 2: Apply
- Complete an application
- Bring the following to your appointment:
- copy of your diploma or transcript
- copy of your WorkKeys certificate
- $20 for drug test and background check (cash only)
- Proof of legal residence in SC (SCDL, Voter Registration, Military ID, etc.)
Step 3: Complete the drug testing and background check
- Complete authorization for drug testing and background check at your application appointment
- Follow instructions provided at your application appointment
- You will be notified if results of your drug test or background check prevent you from entering this program
Step 4: Scholarship decision will be made by the committee
- You will be notified if a scholarship is awarded to you
- You will be notified of class dates, start times, etc.
Step 5: Materials and fees covered
- Scholarship covers: tuition, materials, and testing/certification fees (1 test for each of 4 MSSC modules, OSHA 10-hour test, and Six Sigma Yellow Belt certificate)
- If you want to re-test in any area, additional fees will apply
Step 6: Participation
- Attend all classes (if you miss more than 3 sessions, you will be withdrawn from the program)
- Be on time for all class sessions (if you are tardy more than four times you will be withdrawn from the program)
- Participate fully in class activities and complete all coursework
For more information, contact Trish Buis at (864) 941-8420 or firstname.lastname@example.org.