Business Operations Specialist
Date Posted: August 18, 2021
Deadline: September 17, 2021
Organization: American Red Cross
Location: Columbia Area
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Education: Associate’s degree in Accounting, Business or Public Administration required. Applicable experience may be applied towards education requirement but must be in addition to years experience required below.
Experience: Minimum 4 years’ financial or facilities business operations/administrative experience in community organizations, government agencies, non-profit organizations or business. Experience working effectively with volunteers and board members. Experience in coordinating finance and administrative functions including information systems and facilities.
A Bachelor’s degree combined with 2 years related experience may substitute for the years of education/experience indicated previously.
Management Experience: Prefer minimum 6 months experience supervising employees or volunteers.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work to maximize team performance and meet customer expectations. Excellent organizational skills and ability to work with attention to detail. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to create and maintain collaborative work relationships within the organization and with external stakeholders.
Other: Proficient with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Strong knowledge of federal, state and local employment laws.
The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
The American Red Cross, South Carolina Region is seeking a Business Operations Specialist to support the region. This is a full time, hourly, (non-exempt) position and will work Monday – Friday. (Specific hours to be determine once successful candidate is hired.) This position can be based in Columbia (preferred), Charleston, Greenville or remote within SC>
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Business Operations Specialist supervises the daily operation of support services and business office operations for regional administrative functions. This includes supervision of volunteers who will handle daily transactional responsibilities. Oversees budget monitoring, daily finance transactions, local vendor relationships, facilities management, fleet management, HR, IT, and records/reports. Establishes work procedures and standards to improve efficiency and effectiveness of assigned operations. Is the lead system trainer for software business applications. Provides COO/CAO operations management for the Region in the absence of the COO/CAO.
1. Financial & Administrative Reporting: Provides administrative budget monitoring and expenditure review regarding expenses including approval of regional procurement transactions. Collaborates with department leaders to ensure that programs are executed within budget. Ensures location processes are established and functioning for all cash and card transactions. Prepares and analyzes data for monthly forecasting of expenses for department directors. Provides guidance and data for grant reporting. Responds to internal/external requests for information and/or documentation and delegates as appropriate to volunteers for input, tracking or reporting. Acts as Region point of contact for FOCIS information. Develops and oversees maintenance and distribution of consistent regional operations processes and procedures. Advises COO/CAO of findings and recommendations.
2. Facilities/Asset Management Oversight: Coordinates activities of the facility in regard to maintenance. Approves and ensures repairs are completed within budget and appropriate system is used to pay vendors. Develops and maintains relationships with vendors supporting each physical location. Obtains proposals for potential new vendors. Provides and analyzes information/data needed for developing Business Plans for real estate transactions. Collaborates with region management to ensure business office operations achieve objectives and performance targets. Is liaison with other sectors for shared facilities/assets. Analyzes risk management system with current values/status as appropriate.
3. Volunteer Supervision and Coordination: Provides direction and training to volunteers to handle the administrative transactions necessary for the business, ensuring that their efforts are well-coordinated with the strategic business goals. Evaluates volunteer performance. Plans work schedules, assigns or delegates work daily.
4. Fleet Management Support: Analyzes fleet inventory records. Ensures appropriate and timely maintenance. Manages and trains volunteers regarding the filing and maintenance of insurance claims and follow up with estimates/repairs. Is liaison with Fleet Management in other sectors.
5. Events: Participates in planning events meetings. Trains volunteers to prepare insurance certificate applications, financial collection processes, and appropriate forms and codes used for regulated items including alcohol.
6. Lead Trainer for Business Applications and IT Services: Trains staff in use of business software application systems. Expedites escalations for regional phone and computer issues. Assures appropriate level of assistance for expediting tech services requests.
2751 Bull St
Columbia, SC 29201
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability.