Certified Surgical Technologist (Sign-on Bonus)
Date Posted: October 7, 2022
Deadline: August 1, 2023
Organization: Lexington Medical Center
Location: Columbia Area
City: West Columbia
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Wages/Salary: Sign-on Bonus up to $10,000 We are committed to offering quality, cost-effective benefits choices for our employees and their families: -Day ONE medical, dental and life insurance benefits -Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs) -Employees are eligible for enrollment into the 403(b) match plan day one. LHI matches dollar for dollar up to 6%. -Employer paid life insurance – equal to 1x salary -Employee may elect supplemental life insurance with low cost premiums up to 3x salary -Adoption assistance -LHI provides its full-time employees employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability coverage after 90 days of eligible employment -Tuition reimbursement -Student loan forgiveness
Minimum Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: None.
Substitutable Education & Experience (Optional): None.
Required Certifications/Licensure: National Certification through NBSTSA; CPR Certification.
Required Training: Completion of a recognized vocational or hospital based Operating Room Technician course or its equivalent
The surgical technologist works under the supervision of the registered nurse and medical staff to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive and minimally invasive surgical procedures. This individual works to ensure that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. A surgical technologist possesses expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician’s performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
- Performs assigned patient care tasks under the direction and supervision of a designated Registered Nurse, and works under the direction of the surgeon for procedural related tasks.
- Assesses and anticipates needed supplies for scheduled and emergent procedures, the need for comfort and safety measures for individual patients, and anticipates the needs of the surgeon to expedite the procedure by passing instruments, sponges and sutures.
- Prepares operating room according to a particular surgical procedure with the assistance of other personnel in accordance with procedures for disinfection of furniture and equipment.
- Exercises proper sterile technique, opens and arranges sterile field in accordance with accepted protocol for each surgical procedure to be performed, both routine and special procedures.
- Utilizes equipment and supplies efficiently, charges for and assures replacement of medical & surgical supplies. Daily and periodically checks, restocks, and inventories supplies (checks, rotates dated items and reorders supplies as assigned or as needed for surgery and otherproecudures within their unit)
- Assures that all items used are replaced in inventory, charged for and reported to the circulator of the case.
- Displays dexterity in the use of surgical instruments and knowledge of the step-by-step process for the specific surgical procedure.
- Assists in performing and documenting equipment, drug and environmental checks as required by administrative and unit specific policies and regulatory agencies.
- Follows appropriate Infection Control policies and procedures. Displays knowledge of decontamination, packaging and sterilization of instrumentation and supplies.
- .Working with the circulating nurse and anesthesia personnel, assists in positioning the patient on the operating table, prepares and/or assists in the preparation of the operative site, drapes, or assists in draping the patient, at the request of the surgeon. When necessary, assists the anesthesiologist or anesthetist during administration of anesthetic.
- Under the direction of the surgeon performs such duties as holding retractors, suction, clamping vessels, and applying dressings, etc. Acts as a surgeon’s first or second assistant in the absence of the surgeon’s first assistant within their realm of practice (except suturing, injecting medications and cutting tissue).
- Upon completion of the surgery, assists in moving the patient off the operating table onto the stretcher and transporting to the recovery room.
- Assists in clearing the operating room for the next procedure including appropriate disposal of contaminated linen and waste, cleaning instruments when necessary and disinfecting equipment.
- Participates in counts with the circulating nurse to assure that all counts are correct.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Associate Care Manager/Registered Nurse to continuously update the nursing plan of care and recommends interventions to meet identified patient goals.
- Evaluates and recommends updates to surgeon preference cards and notifies appropriate personnel of needed changes.
- Labels drugs on the field. Prepares labels and verifies specimens according to protocol and surgeons preference.
- Uses proper documentation related to sterilization procedures. Signs/verifies initials on instrument count sheet and signs preference list when pulling of case is completed.
- Identify educational needs for self and participate in peer review as requested.
- Precepts new staff and student populations sharing knowledge of procedures to enhance learning.
- Coordinating treatments and procedures to facilitate cost effective patient care.
- Collaborates with the appropriate HCTM’s for the acquisition of necessary supplies/equipment.
- Demonstrates accountability for patient care environment including the reporting of malfunctioning equipment, maintenance of instrumentation and matters of patient safety.
- Reports pertinent patient information to Associate Care Manager/Registered Nurse involved in patient care.
- Reads and initials new policies, procedures, meeting minutes and memos.
- Answers the telephone with appropriate telephone etiquette, posts cases for surgeons, takes and relays messages.
- Acts as a liaison to sterile processing and participates in Performance Improvement activities.
- Contributes to the development and revision of standards/policies as needs are identified.
- Identifies and utilizes information from monitors and research to effect changes in practice.
- Maintains a working knowledge of emergency protocol in the event of a disaster in the operating room, emergency procedure and surgical set-ups necessary to manage an emergency.
- CST Robotic First Assist Role Specific to Robotics Only –
- Certified Surgical Technologists with additional specialized education or training may function as first/surgical assistants to the surgeon at the operating table in those situations or facilities where more completely trained assistants are not available. Practice privileges and competencies of those acting as robotic first assistants must be based upon review of specific training for each type of robotic device utilized at LMC.
- Preoperative - The CST robotic first assist role must demonstrate the training, knowledge and skills to prepare the robotic components, instruments and accessories for surgery.
- Intraoperative - The CST robotic first assist role has the knowledge and skills to assist the surgeon in performing robotic procedures that ensure the safety of the patient and surgical team. The CST must have the knowledge and skills to identify and work with the team to troubleshoot robotic equipment malfunctions. The CST will assist the team in responding to patient complications including conversion to an open procedure.
- Post Procedure - The CST is responsible for the initial decontamination of the robotic instrumentation and accessory items.
- Surgical Technologists in Labor and Delivery will perform secretarial functions within the labor and delivery setting to include the maintenance of patient records, ordering of lab work, transcription of physician orders, ordering of supplies and other assigned clerical duties.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Day and Night Shifts Available
2720 Sunset Blvd.
West Columbia, SC 29169
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability.