Date Posted: November 4, 2020
Deadline: July 12, 2018
Organization: Riverbanks Zoo &amp; Garden
Location: Columbia Area
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree with three to five years experience in event management or hospitality management required. Preferred candidates would have experience in a zoo/aquarium, theme park or related industry. Minimum of three years of management/supervisory experience or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working within a collaborative environment and be a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a very high standard for service required. Must be able to demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills, attention to detail, organizational skills and prompt follow-through. Must be flexible for occasional weekend, holiday and after-hours assignments. Must possess or be eligible for a valid SC driver's license.
Ambassador Commitment: Create meaningful connections and inspire actions that will have a lasting impact on conservation.
Responsibilities: Under general supervision, is responsible for managing all public and member events and festivals. Works with the Marketing Division and other departments to plan and facilitate signature events and to create new events. Directs the daily operations of the events staff and develops methods for improving departmental operations.
- Plans and coordinates all event logistics including date, time, location, facilities, staffing, theming, props, entertainment, food and beverage, pricing, and any additional special offerings.
- Researches and reports on feasibility of national and regional trends in attractions and special event production and marketing. Strategically establishes events calendar to maximize exposure and minimize competition with other venues.
- Responsible for creative design and layout of all events including Lights Before Christmas and Boo at the Zoo. Stays current on trends in event design and materials.
- Cooperates with other zoo and garden departments to facilitate event success. Cultivates and maintains a positive working environment. Effectively interacts and communicates with senior staff, employees, volunteers, and various external groups/vendors.
- Supervises events personnel, hires and trains staff, responsible for scheduling, payroll/time keeping, and proactive management of employee relations.
- Keeps records of events to build and maintain event history. Conducts evaluations during and after events to determine guest satisfaction and fiscal success.
- Supervises events (working evenings and weekends as needed) to troubleshoot any problems and ensure that events run smoothly and that guests and/or vendors are pleased with their Riverbanks experience.
- Utilizes excellent customer service, verbal communication, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
- Analyzes and prepares a variety of reports/forms, billing invoices, and general correspondence. Manages all events-related budgets and reports, departmental purchases, and equipment and supplies.