Date Posted: November 4, 2020
Deadline: April 12, 2019
Organization: Riverbanks Zoo &amp; Garden
Location: Columbia Area
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
High school graduate with vocational/technical training in equipment repair/trade/electrical/construction or Associates Degree in a related field required. Three to five years of experience as a maintenance worker or tradesmen preferred; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
The ideal candidate will be able to work well independently and with a team on a variety of tasks and priorities. This role requires handling multiple projects at one time, while demonstrating good planning, organization, and communication skills. Must be available to work a flexible schedule to include evenings/weekends (depending on special event schedule) and for on-call duty after hours, as needed. Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, be able to lift 50lbs., and be able to walk long distances repetitively. Must possess or be eligible for a valid S.C. driver's license.
Ambassador Commitment: Create meaningful connections and inspire actions that will have a lasting impact on conservation.
Responsibilities: Under general supervision, is responsible for working with a team to prepare the park for special events and for the general repair and maintenance to a variety of structures, equipment, vehicles, and facilities at Riverbanks Zoo and Garden. This position will alternate between projects in the Events department and the Facilities Maintenance department. This position reports to the Director of Facilities Maintenance but will work under the direction of the Events management staff when performing events related tasks.
• Constructs, assembles, and dismantles event components, including audio/visual equipment, and “wrapping” trees with lights.
• Maintains proper lighting and audio for events and daytime operations, and warehouse inventory.
• Ensures the safety of the public by preparing displays that are structurally sound and maintaining Riverbanks’ reputation for high quality events and aesthetics.
Facilities Maintenance Department:
• Duties will vary daily and can include assignments such as general repair, preventative maintenance, carpentry, minor plumbing/electrical/HVAC, welding, excavating, fence repair, etc.
• Assists with renovation or construction projects, as needed.
• May be required to operate medium to heavy equipment such as a forklift, backhoe, skid steer, snorkel lift, trencher, etc., as required to complete assignments.