Recreation Volunteer Coordinator - Military Veterans Only
Date Posted: March 25, 2021
Deadline: February 12, 2021
Organization: United States Department of Agriculture
City: Sumter National Forest
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Wages/Salary: For more information, check out the FAQ section on our website. https://mtadamsinstitute.org/vetswork-environment-internships/
Position Requirements (to include, but not limited to):
· Ability to independently lead a work crew (YCC, volunteers) on a daily basis.
· Physical capability to perform moderately strenuous trail and recreation work.
· Ability to acquire suitable outdoor clothes, rain jackets, pants, work boots, etc.
· Intern will work 40 hours per week with some flexibility, including some weekend work.
· Good people / communication skills.
Full Job Description
Service Dates: March 8, 2021 to January 14, 2022
Veterans! The Sumter National Forest is seeking your application. We need your leadership and love of the outdoors. Join an award-winning, veteran specific, career development program and get your foot-in-the-door with the U.S. Forest Service.
Position Summary: In partnership with the Mt. Adams Institute (MAI), the Sumter National Forest will offer training and real-world work experience for an Intern interested in natural resource management with a focus on outdoor recreation. The Intern will serve as a critical component of a team designed to increase Forest Service field level capacity to enhance volunteer and partnership projects as well as engage youth and young adults in volunteer and service programs in the district's backcountry and wilderness areas. This position will primarily support the recreation staff, but will also contribute time to all resource areas on the district. The Intern will serve as the Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) leader for high school students during the summer. This opportunity will involve extensive hiking through the wild and remote areas of the district carrying all the necessary tools and equipment.
Member Benefits Include:
- Monthly AmeriCorps living stipend
- Monthly housing stipend
- AmeriCorps education award
- Student loan forbearance
- Basic medical insurance (covers members only; vision and dental not included).
- Child care allowance for those who qualify.
- Access to G.I. Bill benefits of up to approximately $2,400 per month. Actual benefits vary by individuals’ qualified benefits.
- Professional development, trainings, certifications and networking opportunities.
Essential Functions (to include, but not limited to):
· Recruit volunteers and organize work days. Volunteer activities may include trail maintenance, trainings, and education.
· Perform trail maintenance with district staff, trail groups, and volunteers.
· Lead summer Youth Conservation Corps Crew (YCC). The crew usually consists of four high school students who work for the Forest Service for eight weeks during the summer.
· Provide support to other resource areas including timber, fire, and administration.
112 Andrew Pickens Circle
Mountain Rest, SC 29664
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability.