Relay Tech Internship - Transmission Relay C&M (Carolinas East) - Leland, Aberdeen, Florence, Garner, Goldsboro, Raleigh
Date Posted: November 4, 2020
Deadline: March 6, 2018
Organization: Duke Energy
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
- Interns must be available to work May - August
- Students must be enrolled in an Associate of Science in Engineering Technology or AAS program related to energy industry
- Students are expected to have and maintain a GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Students must be 18 years old by the internship start date
- Students must be able to work full-time (40 hours/week)
- Valid driver’s license
- To be considered for this position, an on-site assessment will be required.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students must have completed 12 credit hours with specific courses: Introduction to Electrical Utilities, Electrical Utility Print Reading, Physics/Trig for Relay Technicians, Introduction to CAD
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to provide the quantity and quality of work necessary to reach an accomplishment
- Demonstrated leadership qualities through effective decision making
- Works effectively with others from diverse backgrounds to achieve a common goal
- Ability to deliver superior results within an allocated time though effective prioritization, scheduling, planning and execution of assigned work
- Demonstrates tenacity by remaining persistent in the face of adversity
- Demonstrated technical proficiency in the use of computers, software, and engineering applications
- Desire to pursue a career in the energy industry
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (hardhat, safety glasses, appropriate clothing, ear plugs, fall protection, etc.) as needed
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
Duke Energy offers qualified students, in accredited engineering technology programs leading to an Associate Degree, the opportunity to work in areas related to their field of study as part of an internship program.
Relay Technician Department Description:
The Relay Construction and Maintenance department executes the design packages developed by the
Transmission Engineering department for the construction of substation and transmission facilities throughout the Duke Energy service area.
This department is also responsible for ensuring grid reliability by executing the day to day operations and
maintaining the protective relays and SCADA control systems in compliance with state and federal regulations.
Relay Technician Interns will work alongside Journeymen and Apprentice level Relay Technicians to get exposed to the technical skills and safety focused work behaviors necessary to be proficient in this profession.
Office and field environment - requires walking, light lifting, and occasional exposure to temperature and noise