Safety & Risk Manager
Date Posted: November 4, 2020
Deadline: March 22, 2018
Organization: Riverbanks Zoo &amp; Garden
Location: Columbia Area
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Wages/Salary: Commensurate with experience and certifications
Education and Experience: Associates degree in environmental health and safety or a related field with proven experience as a safety manager required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Possess through knowledge of federal and state occupational safety and health regulations. Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment a plus. Will have experience with developing policies and reports and understands the specific safety issues related to maintenance and construction.
The ideal candidate must have strong oral, written, and presentation skills in order to address workplace safety issues, implement training programs, and motivate team members. Must enjoy working within a collaborative environment and be a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority and must be able to demonstrate outstanding interpersonal and observation skills, attention to detail, and prompt follow-through. Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and possess thorough knowledge of current computer applications to include MS Office Suite. Must possess or be eligible for a valid SC driver's license.
Ambassador Commitment: Doing your part to support Riverbanks’ mission to foster appreciation and concern for all living things.
Responsibilities: Is responsible for monitoring safety and health regulations to minimize safety and occupational health hazards at Riverbanks. Will also be responsible for establishing policies that will create and maintain a safe workplace. The goal is to ensure Riverbanks’ workplace meets all legal expectations and actively supports occupational health and safety (OSHA), AZA, USDA, and FWC safety standards.
- Evaluates Riverbanks’ policies, SOPs, procedures, and facilities to assess risk and ensure compliance with federal and state safety and health regulations and laws.
- Performs site safety inspections looking for general safety issues, fire hazards or violations and walking surface issues on a routine basis.
- Identifies company training needs. Develops and coordinates all general safety training required to support safety programs and a culture of safety. Maintains records and documents for all safety training, inspections, drills, etc.
- Collaborates with senior staff to develop a continuous improvement plan for health and safety, throughout all departments.
- Key point of contact and leadership for all safety related issues. Identifies workplace hazards and discovers opportunities for improving conditions.
- Establishes a culture of safety by preparing and enforcing health and safety policies. Monitors compliance to policies and laws by inspecting employees and all aspects of zoo operations.
- Promotes safety and health awareness by preparing reports on health and safety issues and statistics and communicating policies to a multidisciplinary workforce.
- Develops annual company safety and health goals. Implements a performance, recognition, and feedback plan for safety.
- Recommends solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures. Supports staff in selection of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Leads Riverbanks’ safety committee and has an integral role in disaster response planning.
- Reviews reports/workers compensation claims and conducts investigations of injury and non-injury accidents or incidents to determine probable cause(s) and make recommendations for corrective action.
- Cultivates and maintains a positive working environment. Effectively interacts and communicates with senior staff, employees, volunteers, and various external groups.