Date Posted: November 4, 2020
Deadline: May 31, 2018
Organization: Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project, Inc
Location: All Counties
Website: View Website
Wages/Salary: This will be an approximately 10 week assignment. Hourly pay $12 - $15 depending on qualifications. Travel is required and will be compensated based off the 2018 Federal mileage rate of 54.5 cents per mile.
- Ability to learn and understand the basic water and wastewater network structures as it applies to a network GIS configuration.
- Responsible for reviewing engineering plans, and interpreting aerial imagery including maps that are sometimes inaccurate. Must be able to orient oneself within said map using GPS position, perform dead-reckoning, compare reality, GIS, GPS, & sketches and route tables to assign the correct assets in the map to GPS positions taking.
- Thoroughly review each block surveyed for items in map that are incorrect or need to be captured. Must be attentive, noticing missing/incorrect assets, premise, etc.
- Responsible for performing basic IT troubleshooting to address typical or unexpected computer communication problems that might affect GPS signal strength, Mobile Broadband, Bluetooth, Networks, etc.
- Provide active feedback to GPS project manager. Due to the highly sensitive nature of the technology involved the workflow does not work with the same quality/ consistency everywhere all the time.
- Responsible to adjust workflow / learn new techniques as the process is improved through feedback.
- Ability to perform these tasks while maintaining a culture of elevated safety through risk reduction in challenging work environments including poor weather, proximity to traffic, searching for assets in and under landscaping and other obstructions, etc.
- Utilize mapping grade GPS to field verify and accurately locate assets and update GIS data accordingly.
- Ability to work independently and manage time across multiple projects and deadlines.
80% of the responsibilities are outside work, 20% office environment
Preferred education would consist of Associate’s degree in GIS, computer science, engineering, or related field; current enrollment in related field at an institution of higher education; or an equivalent combination of education, training, experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Successful candidate(s) will demonstrate knowledge, interest, or project experience in GIS (ArcGIS 10 or higher) applications. Applicant must possess a valid S.C. driver’s license and have (or have access to) reliable transportation.
Southeast Rural Community Assistance Program (SERCAP) is seeking a GIS/GPS Intern. The primary responsibility of this position is performing entry level technical work in the preparation of GIS maps, including data collection and entry, and the preparation of related materials for Water/Wastewater Asset Management and Fiscal Sustainability Plans. This will be an approximately 10 week assignment. Hourly pay $12 - $15 depending on qualifications. Travel is required and will be compensated based off the 2018 Federal mileage rate of 54.5 cents per mile. Must have valid driver’s license and own transportation.
SERCAP is a 503(c) Non-Profit organization. SERCAP is a regional program operating in seven states (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida) to provide training and technical assistance to low-income communities and community based organizations to assist with developing affordable safe drinking water/sanitary waste facilities and other needed services to serve low-income rural residents.