Summer Graphic Design Intern
Date Posted: November 4, 2020
Deadline: January 24, 2020
Organization: Jacob&#039;s Pillow Dance Festival
City: Becket, MA
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Wages/Salary: Interns receive: Career talks, topical discussions, Staff-led seminars, training, and mentoring On-campus housing 3 meals per day $1,500 stipend* Free performances and dance classes College credit, work-study, independent study, and/or cooperative learning programs may be available through your school. Or you may register for college credit at Jacob’s Pillow through our partnership with the Division of Continuing Education at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. Check with your college registrar’s office and department to determine whether these credits will transfer to your school. Credit fee information is available after May 1.
Candidates should be well versed in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, and have experience in all Adobe Design Suite products. Applicants must be detail-oriented, organized, effective time managers, and possess marketing instincts.
Summer Festival internships run May 19 through September 3 and are part of a structured program for more than 30 interns from around the world, each working within one of the Pillow’s administrative or production departments.
The Graphic Design Intern works closely with the Graphic Designer to enhance the Pillow’s vibrant digital and print media presence. Design responsibilities include designing print and electronic materials to promote Festival performances and events, maintaining a high-quality and brand-consistent aesthetic in all materials (materials include on-campus posters, digital signs, and tabling materials; print and digital ads; graphic materials for email communications and social media as well as templates for other marketing staff to use); assisting with photo selection; and assisting with the organization and management of the Pillow’s archival photo database. As part of the Marketing team, the Graphic Design Intern also assists with marketing research, community outreach and events, staffing marketing events, and gives public tours.
By interning with Jacob’s Pillow during the summer, you join a team of seasoned arts professionals and assist with programs pertaining to the Festival, The School, the Archives, and Community engagement. All internships offer invaluable training and mentorship towards your professional career.
As a Summer Festival Intern, you will:
- Be a member of the team executing one of the world’s most prestigious dance festivals.
- Experience a Festival environment offering world-class ballet, contemporary, cultural, dance/theatre, and jazz dance; more than 500 public events including artist talks, master classes, community classes, open rehearsals, and free performances; access to one of the field’s most valuable dance Archives; and professional advancement training in The School at Jacob’s Pillow.
- Receive on-the-job training and experience working with the Festival’s staff.
- Gain a broad perspective on the international performing arts field.
- Live in an international community of artists, faculty, scholars, staff, students, and intern peers for 3 dance-filled months.
- Enjoy the rich heritage of this National Historic Landmark in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts.
Each application requires the following:
1. One cover letter explaining
why you wish to intern at Jacob’s Pillow
your qualifications and interests for the position(s) indicated on Application Form
your goals and expectations for the internship
Check our staff directory to address your cover letter appropriately. “To Whom It May Concern” is also acceptable.
3. Two references, work-related: names, titles, phone numbers, and email addresses. Ideally these should be different from the person who wrote your letter of recommendation.
4. Support materials, if requested for specific positions, such as writing samples and portfolios. See Festival position descriptions for details.
5. One letter of recommendation, either uploaded to your online application (strongly preferred), or emailed directly to Jacob’s Pillow.
Instruct recommenders to please:
Attach their letter as a PDF. File names should be saved as such:
APPLICANTLASTNAME_APPLICANTFIRSTNAME_LetterofRecommedation (no spaces)
For example: SMITH_JAMIE_LetterofRecommendation
Format the email subject line with the applicant’s name:
LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME – Letter of Recommendation
For example: SMITH, JAMIE – Letter of Recommendation
Send their email to email@example.com
Criteria for acceptance are the same for everyone without regard to race, color, gender, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
358 George Carter Rd
Becket, MA 01223
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability.