Advertising Design Certificate
Business Information Technology Public Service and Commercial Art
This certificate covers the fundamentals of copy and layout for print media advertising.
In addition to core classes, course work centers around basic copywriting, advertising design, marketing and typography. Hands-on projects designing logos, posters, flyers and advertisements will help students build a portfolio of work to show potential employers. Students will learn on the latest hardware and software available.
This certificate provides students with a primary technical specialty. Students completing this certificate can, by taking selected general education courses and a secondary technical specialty, have the opportunity to obtain an Associate Degree in Occupational Technology with a major in General Technology. Students should meet with their advisor(s) to select the proper courses to meet their particular educational goals.
|REQUIRED COURSE INFORMATION|
|ARV 110||Computer Graphics I||3.0|
|ARV 123||Composition and Color||3.0|
|ARV 161||Visual Communications Media||3.0|
|ARV 162||Graphic Reproduction I||3.0|
|ARV 261||Advertising Design I||3.0|
|ARV 262||Advertising Design II||3.0|
|ARV 265||Graphics Art Portfolio||1.0|
|CGC 106||Typography I||3.0|
|CWE 112||Cooperative Work Experience I||2.0|
|Total Credit Hours||30.0|
This certificate will provide the student with fundamental knowledge of Layout design, copy, and typography for print media advertising. Coursework covers basic copywriting, advertising design, marketing basics, and typography. Students will have hands on projects designing logos, posters, flyers, and advertisements to build a professional portfolio of work for presentation to employers.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate the ability to use design techniques in creating various printed items as well as web content creation.
2. Conceptualize, Design, and Create standalone design elements as assigned.
3. Understand and apply advanced design literacy concepts.
4. Demonstrate the ability to organize, archive, and retrieve data using current computer technologies.
Gainful Employment Information
- The best time to start this program is fall, however students can start any semester if they have the required prerequisites for the classes they want to take. Note that even though many ARV classes have no prerequisites, a very good grasp of basic computer use and navigation along with basic verbal, grammar and spelling skills are required for success in this curriculum.
- Some level of proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite is highly recommended.
- Students may wish to use this certificate to fulfill requirements for the Associate in Occupational Technology degree, with a major in General Technology.
Notes about individual classes
- No English class is required for completion of this certificate; however, good verbal, grammar and spelling skills are a must in this field.
- Developmental or transitional classes, if needed, should be scheduled around program classes.
Semester-by-semester graduation plan
- Advertising Design Certificate (ARV6) - Fall Start
To obtain a graduation plan for students beginning this program in Spring or Summer semesters, please contact Kendall Adams.
Notes about other requirements
- Several investments must be made for a future in commercial arts, including a computer, a digital camera, portable external hard drives, etc.
- The Program Director for this certificate is Kendall Adams.
- You may also contact Tommy Gortney for information about this program.
- Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to submit advising information updates or corrections.
Advisement Information updated 9/18/2017