Building Construction Technology
Piedmont Technical Colleges Building Construction Technology program will give you a solid foundation to get started in this rewarding field.
Credentials Offered:Building Construction Technology (A.A.S.)
Building Construction Technology Major
Graduation Date: May 2017
In May, Kenneth McDaniel prepared to walk across the graduation stage at Piedmont Technical College to complete a journey that he was not always sure was possible when he decided to get his degree.
A Career in Building Construction
Our program offers a comprehensive construction education. Students learn the entire range of residential and light commercial building techniques both on campus and outside the college community. You'll get practical training in estimating building costs, carpentry, cabinet-making, residential wiring, blueprint-reading, brick masonry, construction, building codes and safety.
Piedmont Tech's Building Construction Technology program is a residential and light commercial construction training program designed for those who have little or no practical experience in building construction trades.
What Will I Do as a Building Construction Professional?
For those interested in self-employment, construction offers more opportunities than most other industries to individuals who want to own and operate their own business.
Some possible positions for graduates of the Building Construction Technology program include roofer, carpenter, industry maintenance personnel, cabinet-maker, commercial construction carpenter, project manager or construction supervisor. Advancement within the field comes with experience and may involve further education for certain career paths.
Some of your responsibilities may require you to:
- Follow blueprints and building plans to meet the needs of clients
- Install structures and fixtures, such as windows and molding
- Replace damaged or rotting joists or plywood
- Install shingles, asphalt, metal and other materials to make a roof waterproof
- Prepare cost estimates, budgets and work timetables
- Report work progress and budget matters to clients
Career Quick Facts
- Career Outlook
- Median Salary Average: $39,410
- SC Salary Range: $25,130-$65,520
- 67% placement rate for 2017-2018 graduates
Salary and career information from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Physical Demands
- active (lifting, carrying, walking, reaching, standing)
- lifting up to 70 pounds
- climbing/balancing (must have good balance)
- stooping, kneeling, crawling, crouching
- visual acuity (good depth perception)
- Entry Level Positions
- Project Manager
- Construction Supervisor
- Possible Self-Employment
- List of Employers
- Ace Hardware
- Amber Chase Townhomes & Apartments
- City of Newberry
- Comfort Services
- Craig's Handyman Service
- Edgefield County
- Forrester Construction
- Glenn Wilson Construction
- Greenway Construction Group
- Greenwood County
- Greenwood County YMCA
- Grover's Roofing
- Habitat for Humanity
- Home Depot
- Home Services of Greenwood
- Justus Builders
- Lowe's Home Improvement
- McCrory Construction Company
- Midstate Appraisals
- Morris Construction
- Moses Home Improvement
- National Park Service
- Norbord Peak Builders Incorporated
- RCI of South Carolina, Inc.
- Ridge Haven Conference & Retreat Center
- Saluda Construction
- The Brooks Company Decks & Docks
- Timmerman Builders Town & Country
- Upper Savannah Council of Governments
As a building construction technology student, you’ll receive one-on-one instruction from our experienced faculty, and you’ll develop the discipline, teamwork skills, and sense of pride in your work required to excel as a builder.
PTC's program teaches students every aspect of the construction business, so hands-on application is stressed as a vital re-enforcement of classroom instruction.
Students participate in various construction projects on campus and get experience with a full, start-to-finish residential construction project. Each day as a building construction student is different and is based on what the class is studying. From blueprints to estimating building costs to carpentry, you’ll be engaged in all aspects of construction, and you’ll receive hands-on training—from concept to completion—in building a house.