Machining Technician (2nd shift) FT Internal 256 Hart
Date Posted: March 25, 2021
Deadline: December 11, 2020
Organization: FN Manufacturing
Location: Columbia Area
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Education/ Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Qualified machining experience with increasing complexity and responsibility. Working knowledge of machining techniques, machine equipment, and systems and machining principles.
- Practical understanding of workplace 5S and lean manufacturing principles.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively communicate with others at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers and decimals. Ability to use and interpret SPC data as required.
- Print reading, must be able to calculate metric and standard measurements.
- Knowledge of basic measuring and testing equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk, and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
Demonstrates attention to detail. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; works well in group problem-solving situations. Delegates work assignments. Makes timely decisions. Organizes and schedules other people and their tasks. Reacts well under pressure. Speaks clearly and persuasively. Listens and gets clarification; participates in meetings. Follows policies and procedures; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Meets productivity standards. Observes safety and security procedures. Adapts to changes in the work environment.
FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Responsible for the effective utilization of materials, equipment, systems, and personnel in the manufacture and/or assembly of FN America products.
- Works from print drawings, process documents, and uses a wide variety of tools, tooling, fixtures, jigs, and measuring equipment in order to make machine and equipment set-ups adjustments and changeovers.
- Qualifies the first production piece/first article for compliance to engineering and quality specifications.
- Assists operators as required in the maintenance of the set-up and works with operators to assure quality and quantity of production.
- Provides work instruction and direction to operators relative to; product quality requirements, measuring techniques, measuring equipment use and care, and relative to machine equipment and systems operations, adjustments, set-up, tool changes, changeovers, and safety features and procedures.
- Develops, analyzes, and interprets SPC charts and data; takes necessary and appropriate action to return process into control, quarantine product in question and in concert with supervision, determine disposition of product in question (if required).
- Performs preventive maintenance as required.
- Maintains and makes available all tooling, jigs, fixtures, and other items necessary to set-up and/or changeover of machines and equipment prior to commencing. Evaluates all tooling jigs, fixtures, and other items to determine necessary repairs and refurbishment.
- Evaluates technical problems, machines, equipment, and system down conditions and repairs as required, and obtains support from supervision, maintenance, engineering as needed.
- Provides input to management, engineering, quality, and product development groups relative to machine, equipment, process, and product improvement.
- Establishes and maintains a safe and healthful working environment in accordance with OHSA requirements (i.e. machine guarding, housekeeping, PPE, etc.).
- Performs other tasks as may be requested to assure the effective and continuous utilization of assets.
- Responsible for accountability and maintaining of all gages used in production.
- Must be knowledgeable of parts machined and how they relate to operation of the weapon.
- Assists with the implementation of lean principles and methods, engages in activities that create a continuous improvement environment, sustains lean processes, suggests areas of improvement in quality, cost, delivery, and safety, and actively supports lean, 5S, and value stream management initiatives.
797 Old Clemson Rd
Columbia, SC 29229
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability.