Date Posted: July 22, 2022
Deadline: September 30, 2022
Organization: The Newberry Museum
Website: View Website
Job Type: Part Time
The Museum Assistant’s work is split into five categories, with tasks associated with each category. A list of job categories and examples of related tasks is as follows;
- Help to coordinate and recruit volunteers and interns; help open and close the museum, and supervise volunteers in the absence of the Executive Director; assist with organizing meetings; schedule tours; manage the museum calendar; keep track of visitor numbers; and enter visitor, donor, and volunteer data into the CRM software.
- Visitor Services
- Fill gaps in front desk volunteer schedule by serving as receptionist as needed; help schedule field trips and museum tours as needed; assist with development of museum programming.
- Marketing and Social Media
- Assist in producing regular posts for museum Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts; aid in publication of marketing materials for museum exhibits and special events; play key role in management of museum website; build relationships with the community to promote the museum and help recruit a diverse group of volunteers.
- Collections and Exhibits
- Assist in design and facilitation of exhibits; assist in collections maintenance under the supervision of the Executive Director and in coordination with the Collections Manager.
- Assist the Executive Director in performing preventative building maintenance, scheduling preventative maintenance (i.e. pest control) keeping track of warranties and helping to alleviate facilities-related issues as they arise.
- Assist with other duties incumbent in the smooth operations of the museum.
2+ years of relevant experience (Preferred)
Proficient computer skills (MS office, Wix, social media proficiency); IT knowledge preferred
Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact with all levels
A dedication to the museum’s mission
An upbeat, positive attitude
A detail-oriented, self-motivated approach to work
Proven time-management skills (punctuality, multitasking, meeting deadlines)
Able to pass a criminal background check.
The Newberry Museum is seeking to hire a part-time Museum Assistant, to support the Executive Director in areas such as administration, visitor services, marketing, social media management, data entry, collections maintenance, facilities maintenance, and exhibit design. The museum is looking for someone who possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, enjoys working with people, and helps fulfills the museum’s important mission to protect, preserve, present, and promote the ongoing history and heritage of Newberry County and College.
or mail to
The Newberry Museum
P.O Box 343
Newberry, SC. 29108
1300 Friend St.
Newberry, SC 29108
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability.