2021 Co-op/Intern Engineer
Date Posted: March 25, 2021
Deadline: February 26, 2021
Website: View Website
- The candidate must have completed their sophomore year in the field of:
- Chemical engineering
- We are looking for candidates who are highly motivated;
- Have above-average interpersonal skills;
- Recognized leadership experience;
- Outstanding academic records in their degree of study; and
- Possess interest in an industrial environment.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA required.
Engineering Co-ops and Interns will apply engineering and safety principles in a chemical and/or polymer manufacturing environment with responsibilities consisting of the application of engineering knowledge to projects within the Ascend organization. These projects, which will be performed under the guidance and assistance of experienced engineers, have the effect of reducing waste, increasing efficiencies, streamlining processes, troubleshooting issues, providing root cause failure analysis of operating problems, and identifying cost savings and/or updating procedures. Upon each return to Ascend, the co-op / intern will gain new experiences in a different functional group. By rotating between the functions, our co-ops / interns will further their skills while expanding their knowledge of the types of roles that are available to full-time engineers. Co-ops / interns can also rotate between sites to gain experience with unique processes and operations. A co-op is expected to work at least two terms with Ascend, while an intern is typically a single term commitment.
Functions for Rotations:
Co-ops / interns will work closely in assisting an engineer or engineering manager with projects relating to one of the following functions:
- Manufacturing – Manufacturing engineering teams supports day-to-day operations with detailed process and technical guidance in the execution of scheduled production. Manufacturing engineers are also responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing process improvements, investigating and resolving process and product deviations, in addition to developing process changes to accommodate new products.
- Production – The Production Engineering function provides technical guidance on process matters for a manufacturing unit. This function provides a critical link in achieving a sustainable competitive advantage by ensuring that existing assets are optimized through development and implementation of projects that improve process capability, capacity planning, and optimize raw material usage. The Production Engineering function also provides stewardship of safe operating conditions and high hazard material management.
- Process Technology – The Process Technology function is responsible for the fundamental, scientific knowledge and understanding in the process technologies we practice to produce the chemicals intermediates used in the Nylon 6,6 and other specialty chemicals market segments such as water treatment, oil-field chemicals, coatings and sealants, surfactants, plasticizers, paper and pulp, etc. This function focuses on developing break-through approaches to realize entitlement performance in cost, capacity and quality through the use of scientific principles and fundamental understanding.
- Process Design – The Process Design function provides innovative and cost-effective process design alternatives for consideration by Ascend's owners, leaders, and the various business teams. This function also provides credible and creative process design packages for capital projects across the company.
1515 Hwy 246 S
Greenwood, SC 29646
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability.