Quality Assurance Manager
Date Posted: April 7, 2022
Deadline: May 7, 2022
Organization: SC Pet Food Solutions, LLC
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Job Title: Quality Assurance Manager
Department: Quality – Poultry Platform
Location: Ward, SC
Reports To: Poultry Platform Director of Quality
Wage Plan/Exemption: Salaried / Exempt
This position will manage and implement quality and food safety systems at the manufacturing site to meet or exceed customer, regulatory and company requirements.
This leader is responsible for assuring released product is safe for its intended use and that quality attributes are clearly monitored, reviewed and deemed acceptable.
The QA Manager will support all safety programs, policies and procedures, and have a personal value system that will assist in creating a work environment that is based on trust, human dignity, and honesty.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage all quality and lab functions at the site, including sampling, testing, product dispositions and related technical services.
- Coordinate and maintain site Food Safety Plans to meet FSMA (21 CFR 507) and food safety code standards for pet food, including management of required documentation, verifications and validations as it relates to preventive controls and pre-requisite programs.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory and product identity site requirements, including those required for USDA-APHIS certifications for export, Organic certifications and other programs as identified.
- Serve as HACCP/HARPC/Food Safety Team Coordinator, PCQI and SQF Practitioner for the site. Work closely with site management team to drive adherence to food safety systems and programs. Lead initiatives as assigned, to include support of change management and continuous improvement.
- Manage, support and/or influence policies and procedures to comply with quality and food safety requirements. Implement and provide training on new procedures as needed. Promote culture of audit-readiness at all times.
- Implement/manage internal audit and CAPA systems to allow for easy tracking and close-out of site corrective and preventative measures.
- Execute root cause analysis for non-conformances, including product quality, food safety or customer issues. Support production facility management team in responding to customer corrective actions. Interpret requirements and monitor activities to identify when further investigation may be needed.
- Communicate effectively with internal customers (human resources, maintenance, shipping / receiving, purchasing, customer service, production, etc.) and external customers. Be a key leader for facility audits, including customer, third-party and/or regulatory inspections.
- Recognize business risks associated with quality and food safety deviations; respond and communicate effectively and expediently according to identified risk.
- Review and recommend changes to processes or equipment in areas of ownership to continuously improve quality assurance functions and services.
- Management of site quality budget.
- Support the Poultry Platform Director of Quality on specific or assigned projects.
- Cross-train on quality programs and initiatives within 3D Poultry as needed.
- Ability to work varying shifts, weekends, holidays, and overnight as required.
- Other tasks as assigned.
The site backup PCQI will provide coverage for this position, with support from Platform and Corporate Quality, when the Quality Assurance Manager is absent or when the position is vacant.
This position will have multiple direct reports at the site.
This position requires occasional travel to company and supply facilities, including some overnight travel. More extensive travel should be expected during the first three months of hire.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university preferred. Degree considerations: Food Science, Agriculture, Animal Science, Chemistry, Microbiology, etc. Five or more years of experience within quality and/or food safety in food or pet food manufacturing with demonstrable quality management experience. HACCP certification required. Certifications and trainings for SQF, PCQI, Internal Auditing and Food Defense strongly preferred.
- Communication – Strong verbal and written communication skills; speaks clearly and persuasively, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings. Communicate effectively in stressful situations.
- Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; makes timely decisions in order to meet organizational objectives in a legal, moral and ethical manner. Responsible for technical understanding of job specific decisions.
- Initiative – Works well independently; displays readiness to undertake or instigate projects on her or his own.
- Planning/organizing – Advanced organizational skills with attention to detail; prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans. Create, prioritize, plan, and complete job functions and projects with little supervision.
- Problem solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Quality management – Seeks ways to improve and promote quality through systems and processes, demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- People skills – Ability to work and influence across multiple disciplines, including knowledge and use of motivational language and ability to see others’ perspective.
- Information skills – Ability to use or acquire advanced research skills in order to obtain the information needed to complete tasks. Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with capacity to learn and adapt to new software systems quickly.
- Safety and security – Actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures; uses technology, intellectual property, equipment and materials properly.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell 0-33% of the time. The employee will be required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms 34-66% of the time, and be required to talk or hear 67-100% of the time. The employee will be required to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds 0-33% of the time. Specific vision requirements for this job include: close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will occasionally work near moving mechanical parts. Adherence to all safety requirements is a must.
Look for the Ward, SC location - Quality Assurance Manager
This position is in Saluda County
1299 Duncan Rd
Ward, SC 29166
Our organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or disability.