Youth Peer Support Specialist
Date Posted: November 4, 2020
Deadline: August 30, 2019
Organization: Federation of Families of SC
Website: View Website
Job Type: Full Time
Qualifications for the Position:
Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: Be 19-27 years old
Lived experience with a mental, emotional or behavioral challenge
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Make decisions and demonstrate leadership skills
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public
• Ability to motivate and energize others
• Sensitivity and interest in working with diverse populations
• Energy, assertiveness, initiative, creativity and willingness to try new approaches and techniques
• Enjoys working as a team player in a team environment
Amount of travel and any other special conditions or requirements:
Frequent travel across the designated service area to establish networks, conduct outreach and surveys, attend meetings, etc. Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license required and must pass background checks with the Department of Motor Vehicles, the sex offender registry, and will undergo a criminal background check.
Job Summary/Purpose: The Federation of Families of SC is seeking a full-time Youth Peer Support Specialist to develop Youth MOVE SC networks, conduct training, and provide youth peer support services for young adults. The position will cover the Beckman Center for Mental Health Services catchment area. Please read the qualifications for the position. Send resumes and cover letters describing lived experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth Peer Support Specialist Responsibilities:
• Provide one-on-one and group support to young adults by phone and in-person, when possible
• Conduct evidence-based Wellness Recovery Action Planning (WRAP) sessions
• Develop Youth MOVE SC groups through assisting with start-up, recruitment and training of facilitators to conduct skill building activities and social-emotional learning
• Conduct outreach and engagement with schools and community resource agencies through displays, presentations and meetings
• Schedule and conduct outcomes data interviews with identified caregivers and youth
• Assist in reporting data, project evaluation and contributing to various reports.
• Other duties, including additional peer support, as assigned or delegated by supervisor.
Accountability: Reports to the Executive Director of Federation of Families of South Carolina
Up to 40 hrs (FTE) and will require a flexible schedule for evening and weekend hours required.