Advising FAQ

These questions are developed to answer some of the most common questions that students ask about reaching their educational goals. Click on a question that interests you to get a quick answer. If you need further information, contact your advisor.


Q: How do I change my major?

You can do this by filling out a Change of Major Form available online or at in the Student Records Office located in the A Building on the Greenwood campus, and submit it with a photo ID or Social Security Card.  Please be aware that when you change your major, you are subject to the requirements listed in the College Catalog in effect at the time of the change. You will be wise to discuss your decision with an academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to learn how changing your major will affect you.


Q: Can I have a double major at PTC?

A student cannot be coded under two majors. However, a student may earn one degree (or diploma or certificate) and then complete another degree (or diploma or certificate). Once you complete one program, you will then be coded in the second program as you continue to earn credits.


Q: Do I need to see an advisor to register?

All students should consult an advisor before they register. Otherwise, you might register for courses you don’t need, miss one that you need but that is offered only once a year, or have some unexpected consequences that affect financial aid. An advisor can help you select the courses that are most appropriate for your program of study and help you make realistic decisions about your course load and delivery methods. An advisor is also a helpful resource for career and transfer information. Registration periods provide a good opportunity to meet with an advisor to discuss your progress toward your goals and any questions and issues you may have.


Q: Where do I go if I am having trouble being successful in a class?

You should first speak to your instructor, who can help you determine the areas you need to work on and can make suggestions for improving your performance. If you need tutoring assistance, visit the Tutoring Center in the lower level of the K-Building or access the Tutoring Center home page. Tutoring is available in a variety of subjects. If you are a student at one of the county campuses, please contact the staff there about setting up tutoring. If you need to speak to someone else about problems you are having, you can make an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss other possible solutions.


Q: What do I do if I need to withdraw from a class?

This depends on when you decide to stop attending. If you drop within the drop/add period, you must fill out a Change of Class Schedule form and submit it to the Student Records Office. The course will not appear on your transcript, and you may be eligible for a tuition refund.

If you stop attending after the drop/add period, you will need to fill out a Withdrawal from Class form, and a "W" will appear on your transcript. Please be aware that withdrawal from courses can have an impact on your financial aid. Don't just stop attending!

If you need to withdraw totally from the college for medical or other reasons, contact your advisor and the Financial Aid Office.


Q: How do I transfer courses in from another college?

You must have an OFFICIAL transcript sent from your previous institution directly to Piedmont Tech’s Student Records Office. The transcript must come in a sealed envelope and may be brought in by a student. Your coursework will be evaluated based on your major at PTC, and you will be awarded transfer credit for courses applicable to that major. For a course to be transferable, it must be from an accredited college or university, have a grade of C or better, and be equivalent to a PTC course in content.

A student may transfer in a maximum of 75 percent of credits toward an associate degree program at PTC.


Q: Can I repeat a course?

A student may repeat certain courses in Nursing and Health Science programs only once. Otherwise, the College allows a student to repeat a course for any reason more than once. All attempts and grades will show on the transcript, but only the highest grade will be used in calculating the cumulative GPA.


Q: I don't know what to do with my life. Can anyone help me?

The ultimate decision about the direction to take with your education and career is up to you, but a number of career-exploration resources are available as you try to make these decisions. The Career Planning and Counseling Center offers a number of Career Services. 

The college has specific, up-to-date information on careers including employment outlook, salaries, ability requirements, descriptions of responsibilities, salary predictions, etc. on the Career Tracks Web site. Students can also do self-exploration through computerized career search tools.

Individual counselors and advisors are available to meet with you to help you use the materials listed above as well as clarify your goals, areas of interest, and abilities. Career Conquest sessions are offered by the Career Planning and Counseling Center for students who are unsure of their career goals. Please contact the SSC at (864) 941-8356 to make an appointment.

The WIA One-Stop Workforce Center also offers career planning help.


Q: Does everyone have to take the English, reading, and math placement tests?

No, many students can be placed in English and math courses based on SAT, ACT, or advanced placement testing. Refer to the Placement Policy to determine if placement testing is necessary. If placement testing is needed, students should complete testing before meeting with an enrollment advisor for first-time registration.

If you have a question about placement testing, contact the Admissions Office at (864) 941-8369.


Q: Most of PTC's programs are laid out in a certain sequence. Can I take the courses in a different order?

It depends.  In some majors, you can take courses out of order if you are having trouble scheduling courses or if certain courses are not available in a particular semester. Keep in mind, however, that many courses have prerequisites and the program is laid out with these in mind. It is best to ask an advisor if you have questions about what sequence will work best for you.